Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens 520 Snowblower won't start

12-07-08, 04:32 AM   #1  
Ariens 520 Snowblower won't start

I have a 1-year old Ariens 520 snowblower (Tecumseh engine) and I did not stabilize the fuel over the summer. I've replaced the fuel, the oil, the sparkplug, and it still won't start. It seems that fuel is not getting to the engine since I put a little bit of fuel under the spark plug and got it to fire. I suppose there is a fuel blockage somewhere but I don't know how to find it and fix it. I have very little small engine experience. Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links

NH

12-07-08, 05:55 AM   #2  
Sounds stupid, but is your gas shut-off turned on?

01-03-09, 10:46 AM   #3  
Fixed my unit

I had the same exact problem and was able to fix it in less than 20 mins. Remove metal case on left of unit by taking off the choke knob and removing 3 other screws. Then remove center screw from silver bowl, float was stuck close. Cleaned with carb + choke cleaner and now its running like new.

12-08-09, 05:17 PM   #4  
Old gas

Are these engines really sensitive to stale gas? I'm having the same problem as seagarn with my one season old 522E.

I have spark and gas but it wont hit a lick any ideas?

Thanks, Doug

Non-US

12-08-09, 05:41 PM   #5  
Gas is only good for 30 days max & depending on the temp outside maybe less.. These carbs have some very small passages in them & a little bit of varnish will block them & give you problems...More often than not you will need to disassemble the carb & clean it or even soak it in a bath type cleaner & install a repair kit... Roger

12-08-09, 06:14 PM   #6  
phoooey

I was afraid of that and I bet it will be even more fun with the new emission controls

Like my granddaughter says "ooh noooo"

MN

12-08-09, 07:59 PM   #7  
Posted By: hopkinsr2 Gas is only good for 30 days max & depending on the temp outside maybe less.. These carbs have some very small passages in them & a little bit of varnish will block them & give you problems...More often than not you will need to disassemble the carb & clean it or even soak it in a bath type cleaner & install a repair kit... Roger
Oh bullfeathers!! Where do you get this? Took out my Toro 8/24 the other day, with last years gas, and it started on the second pull. I forgot to turn the key on for the first one.

Granted, gas isn't what it used to be but saying it's only good for 30 days or less is just crazy if you ask me.

12-08-09, 08:05 PM   #8  
Start but no run

I suppose tomorrow will be the day to fix the carb as I drained it down, put in fresh gas, the needle and seat were flowing but it still wouldn't start. Added gas through the carb and it fired right up but as soon as that was gone it stopped running.

Rats

12-08-09, 08:09 PM   #9  
2 cycle or 4 cycle

Mine is a 522 2 cycle and I am not to familiar with how they behave

My kid pulled out his 10 year old Toro 4 cycle with last years gas and it started on the second pull.

It bums me out because I keep mine in a heated garage nice and clean and he keeps his in a shed out back with all the shovels rakes, etc.

Oh well

Non-US

12-08-09, 10:01 PM   #10  
Posted By: Baldwin Oh bullfeathers!! Where do you get this? Took out my Toro 8/24 the other day, with last years gas, and it started on the second pull. I forgot to turn the key on for the first one.

Granted, gas isn't what it used to be but saying it's only good for 30 days or less is just crazy if you ask me.
If you started yours,, good for you Are you bragging?? I've been cleaning snowblower carbs for the last 3 weeks or more because last years gas was left in them.... Are you going to suggest a fix for this gentelman or are you only here to bash me & the info that is printed in the operator manual by the people that build the machines??? I'll let you look after this as it sounds as if you know more about it than I do.... Roger

12-10-09, 03:32 PM   #11  
good gas bad gas

I leave fuel in all year and starts 4 pulls I think I am older than the two pullers!!! One thing is I run 93 octane in all small engines
and all run great!! Except for the mower that my helper put kerosine in

Search this Thread