MTD Snowblower drive question

Old 12-07-08, 04:04 PM
MTD Snowblower drive question

I just bought my first snowblower. Second hand mind you, but still better than shoveling!! It's a 10.5 HP and 30 inch cut. We received a little snow today and I wanted to give it a try. Started right up, works great but for one small problem. When I put the blower in reverse it works fine, however when I shift to a forward gear, it still backs up. I can switch back and forth and after a few tries it goes forward again. Even if I don't put it in reverse but pull it backwards, it wont go forward again. If I push it a few feet it usually goes forward again. Can someone help with this? Please keep in mind that I am not too mechanically inclined. I can do a few basic things, but tearing the whole thing apart would probably be beyond me, unless I had step by step directions. Thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-08, 05:24 PM
please post the model number. sounds like it could be a simple adjustment.

Old 12-07-08, 05:37 PM
Model # is 31AE6MKH500. It's a Yard Machines by MTD if that helps....

While I was out looking at the model # I also saw something that I am curious about. On the back of the blower, between the 2 control handles is a small diagram. It shows some kind of a spindle with a small wheel on one end and 2 notches cut out. Under this is 2 small arrows. Any idea what this is for?

Old 12-08-08, 05:48 AM
I tried looking for your model on the MTD site. I can find 31ae6 but nothing with MKH500 after it.

Old 12-08-08, 07:10 AM
I have very little experience with snow blowers but I do have the service manual for MTD 500/600 snow throwers. I think this adjustment procedure will correct your problem.

Below are the adjustment instructions from the service manual. Sorry I have not figured out how to post a photo. The “hex screws that secure the bracket” as referenced in the procedure are shown as reference number 1 on parts breakdowns. The “hex screws that secure the bracket” can be seen when standing behind the blower holding the handles, looking down and forward. There are two hex screws securing the bracket on the left and two securing the bracket on the right. The bracket on the right places tension on the drive cable.

2. CABLE ADJUSTMENTS

2.1. Stop the engine and allow it to cool, disconnect the spark plug wire and ground it to the engine.

Good luck,

2.2. Confirm that the fuel level is low enough to prevent spillage through the gas cap vent, or seal
the vent with a plastic bag between the fuel cap and the filler neck. Carefully tip the snow thrower
forward so it rests on the auger housing.

2.3. Loosen the hex screws that secure the bracket that guides the cable needing adjustment (3/8” wrench). See Figure 2.3.

2.4. Slide the bracket upward to add slack to the cable or downward to add tension to the cable.

NOTE: The cables should be straight without any tension to the drive or auger when the handle
is not engaged.

NOTE: If either bracket reaches the end of its travel without achieving correct adjustment, use
a straight-edge to confirm that the handle bars were not bent in transport or storage.

2.5. The cables are adjusted correctly when light pressure (1lb {.46kg}) results in 1/2” (12.7mm) of defection on the cable-and- there is no “creep” on the drive system.

Good luck and let us know if this corrects your problem.

Old 12-09-08, 01:32 PM
Insp Gadget,
can you please post the serial number?

Old 12-17-08, 11:34 AM
michaelshawn30

check to see if your rubber drive wheel is touching in all postitions.
must have full contact with drive disc. Shift through all
speeds and note the position of rubber drive tire on
the drive disc. it sounds like it is making contact only in the reverse position.

Old 12-30-08, 11:35 AM
I had the same problem

I had the same problem and it had to go to the dealer for servicing. He had to install a transmission kit to fix the problem. MY snowblower is 2001 model and he indicated that most were coming back for this kit. It was under warranty so I do not know what the cost is.

Hope this helps

Old 02-01-09, 07:26 AM
I have a simular problem

My Snowblower is a Yard-Man 31AH5MLH501 (just over a year old). I was blowing snow and the wheels locked up. Pushed and pulled a couple of times and now it will not drive forward or reverse. The wheels are free flowing now. Any suggestions?

Old 02-01-09, 10:48 AM
It turned out to be the drive belt...15 minute repair