Ariens Snowblower stuck in gear

Old 12-07-08, 06:11 PM
Ariens Snowblower stuck in gear

After spending the summer covered under my porch the disc carrier on my 36" snow blower appears to be rusted onto the hex shaft it travels on. I can't move it AT ALL. I have tried some penetrating oil over the last few days but NOTHING. ANy suggestions short of ripping it apart and going at it on the bench (really hoping no to have to do that).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-08, 05:31 AM
Please post model number. Sounds like you may have the same problem that flirty had.

Old 12-08-08, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by indypower View Post
Please post model number. Sounds like you may have the same problem that flirty had.
3 or 4 years old Model # 926101. It's the Home Depot version called the 926 LE.

Old 12-08-08, 10:21 AM
I just looked at the parts diagram for your model(which says it is a 26" cut). Anyway it sounds like you do have to take the shaft out and free it up on the bench and clean all the rust off the shaft. Once you get it free, coat the shaft with NeverSeize.

Old 12-08-08, 12:25 PM
I just looked at the parts diagram for your model(which says it is a 26" cut). Anyway it sounds like you do have to take the shaft out and free it up on the bench and clean all the rust off the shaft. Once you get it free, coat the shaft with NeverSeize.

Thanks IP, I meant 26 my meager driveway and sidewalks certainly don't demand a 36". Is it a difficult process to get that shaft out? I'm a 6 on the 1-10 capability scale.

Old 12-08-08, 12:42 PM
Well, it aint an easy job. If the shaft is that badly rusted, chance are that the ball bearings (the ones under the tri-agnle shaped retainers) are also rusted to the shaft and you will need a puller to remove them and most likely have to replace them. And then there is the wheel axle shaft that will most likely have to be removed to get the drive shaft out. You may want to bring it to the shop, but here anyway, right now they are in a 3-4 week backlog.

Old 12-08-08, 03:44 PM
Well, it aint an easy job. If the shaft is that badly rusted, chance are that the ball bearings (the ones under the tri-agnle shaped retainers) are also rusted to the shaft and you will need a puller to remove them and most likely have to replace them. And then there is the wheel axle shaft that will most likely have to be removed to get the drive shaft out. You may want to bring it to the shop, but here anyway, right now they are in a 3-4 week backlog.
ouch 3- 4 weeks, you're probably right. Well I will give it a shot myself first I'm hoping that it's not that bad, it worked in March'08. Either that or get the shovel ready. Any idea how much that service would cost at the dealer?
BTW thanks for all your help.

Old 12-08-08, 04:23 PM
I don't know where you are located, but a lot of shops are charging $60-$70/hr. That job appears to be a minimum 2 hour job, maybe more. Plus, if they see any parts that need replacing(such as those bearing, axle bushings) , they will most likely replace them, too. At my shop, it would be about a $200-$250 depending on prices on parts.

Old 12-15-08, 06:46 AM
I was able to get a free by placing a piece of wood on the carrier and hitting it with a hammer to free it up. A few hits on either side got it moving and then some liquid wrench sprayed on their got it moving freely. I coated the axle in never seize and it's as good as new.

Search this Thread