help identifing a briggs& stratton

Old 12-09-08, 06:37 PM
Question help identifing a briggs& stratton

hello to everyone.just joined and wanted to first say hello to all. im trying to id a briggs engine its a twin cylender horizantel shaft ..its on the side it says 18HP TWIN2 I/C PLUS..ive been told over and over the model numbers and such arestamped in the blower housing and on other twins ive worked on itwas on the blower housing.. i have went over this with a magnifing glass and cannot find any..i cant get parts without serial numbers engine numbers or the year..how ta heck can i figure it out are there numbers else where ..its an older engine..any ideas suggestions appreciated..steve
ps it has the oil filter also

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-08, 10:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello, and welcome!

Look on the tins that cover the heads. If it's an ohv engine, look on a valve cover.

Old 12-10-08, 03:03 AM
On some of the older Briggs twins, the model, type, code is stamped on the side of the small end of the blower housing. A magnifying glass is certainly useful.

Old 12-14-08, 02:03 PM
Angry not there..lol no numbers

i have even ground all paint off blOwer housing and side sheilds i see NOTHING..I cant beleave there not there..did company mess up and not stamp it..any ideas appreciated steve

Old 12-14-08, 03:43 PM
On some of the older opposed twin cylinder engines, the numbers were stamped into the cylinder covers that wrap around the cylinders just behind the engine shroud, otherwise they are stamped into the covers on the heads or riveted to a plate on the blower housing.

Old 12-14-08, 05:31 PM
Is this engine stand-a-lone or, is it on a piece of equipment ?? In many cases if we can ID the equipment(product, model, serial, etc), we can find what engine is on it.

Old 12-15-08, 04:18 AM
Call Briggs

Describe your engine to the Briggs Answer Center at
1-866-927-3349
They should be able to give you the base model number sufficient to order parts.

Old 12-15-08, 05:17 AM
Maybe this link will help in locating the number.

How do I identify a B & S engine?

Old 12-15-08, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by GlenM View Post
Is this engine stand-a-lone or, is it on a piece of equipment ?? In many cases if we can ID the equipment(product, model, serial, etc), we can find what engine is on it.
glenm.this is a stand alone engine i picked up free in good shape..i do not know what it was on..im thinking not a mower because of the horizontal shaft..i know they use them on mowers to but there usually vertical shafts.i still have found no info on the engine..really discourageing steve

Old 12-15-08, 11:40 PM
maybe a picture would help. also like glenM said call that number and describe the engine. hopefully they can help. are they any holes on the engine like there might have been something attached like screws or rivets for a plate. sense its a I/C (industrial/commercial) engine it might have been on a generator or chipper etc.

Old 12-16-08, 06:08 AM
Take a look at the image in the link posted below, it's from an opposed twin cylinder, horizontal shaft Briggs & Stratton engine. Look for numbers stamped in the cylinder covers ref # 306-1 & 306-2, or on the cylinder covers ref # 308-1 & 308-2.

If these parts are missing off your engine, then that probably why you can't locate the numbers, or perhaps the ID tag was removed for some reason.

www.imower.com/images/OPtwin.pdf

Old 12-16-08, 06:09 AM
Briggs ID'd

Due to number of L-Head Briggs twins I've received to repair last couple of years, the 1 repair manual I have is for these engines.
The oil filter clue you gave, plus being horizontal has isolated the basic models, according to the manual, to the following:
My experience with 18hp models are 42 cu. in.
My best guess is the 422440
Enter this value at briggs site
Manuals, Parts List & Wiring Diagrams - - Briggs & Stratton
1st file is the owners manual, the following(all the same) will be the illustrated parts list.
hope this helps,
thanks,

Old 12-16-08, 06:23 AM
Great detective work GlenM, I was just fixing to take a look through my Srv. Man., now I don't have to...

Most parts are interchangeable within the various type numbers, the only differences may be in the type of controls, fuel pump, ignition and perhaps carburetors used, but most of this would be fairly easy to determine.

Old 12-20-08, 07:59 PM
thanks to all for your help

glenn. thats some good info thank you..i am missing one side head cover..but briggs states its on the blower housing make model..stamped..but i dont see it..also i see where no plates or rivots were..i will take some photos in the morn and post them..your guess i bet is close..i went to sight and the engine looks similar..thanks to everyone i really appreciate your time thanks so much steve ps HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE