Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Compartment Paint

12-09-08, 08:50 PM   #1  
Engine Compartment Paint

this is my first post so please dont take me wrong, im not a civic ricer guy who paints everything in his engine compartment. I have a 2000 mustang that i decided to try somthing custom on. i baught a satin paxton centrifigul blower insted of polished. i decided i wanted to paint the word "paxton" red and the rest of the blower+tubing black. what paint should i use to get the best results. how should i prep and how many coats do yous suggest? thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-09-08, 10:55 PM   #2  
Hello and welcome FM2K GT,

This isn't exactly the best forum for the question, but then again...we don't have a paint/body forum where this topic would fit more comfortably. Maybe we can start one.

I think I'd use engine enamel so that it won't discolor or soften with the higher temps of an engine compartment. As for prepping, I don't know. Maybe scuff the original surface a little with fine steel wool so the new paint will have surface area to attach to? I'm not an authority on the subject. Hope that helps.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-11-08, 06:33 PM   #3  
thanks for the greetings and reply. i seen the 700 & 1500* engine enamels the 1500's are mostly flat black but im looking more into a glossy finish where i don't need to use any clear coat. 1 of my friends i asked this question to said that the heat would have to escape the blower some how so that it wont overheat wich makes sense. i'm hoping theres some sort of paint i overlooked. i was thinking of powdercoating but i don't want to buy an entire kit and i like doing everything on any of my cars myself maybe theres some duplicolor employee out there or somthing. thanks for the info

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-11-08, 10:31 PM   #4  
Are the 700 and 1500 the numbers for degrees? If so, I'm pretty sure the blower isn't going to go 700 degrees. It's aluminum, right?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NH

12-12-08, 05:26 AM   #5  
FM2K, you might want to try posting in the Auto Service section of DIY. You should get more & better answers there.

Automotive Service and Repairs - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

12-24-08, 02:09 PM   #6  
Posted By: cheese Are the 700 and 1500 the numbers for degrees? If so, I'm pretty sure the blower isn't going to go 700 degrees. It's aluminum, right?
it could be aluminum im honestly not sure. the thing weighs like 35lbs. it has the pully/impiler so thats added weight but if it was aluminum i would think it would be alot lighter. anywho if i where to buy the 700* engine enamel. does it have to allow heat to escape or doesnt it matter? iv painted calipers with the 700* paint with no probelms with cracking or temp problems. maybe il just let the car run for 10 minutes with no paint. check the temp and then paint it and recheck it after cooldown/warmup for 10minutes.

Search this Thread