Mac 3214

Old 12-10-08, 09:27 AM
Mac 3214

I had to replace the coil on my MAC chainsaw, but when I removed the side cover, the 2 hoses going to the primer bulb slipped off. One port has a long stem,(at the bulb end) and the other one is shorter. Does it matter which line, (one from the tank) and the other to the carb, do they go? Before I put the whole thing back together and find out they're backasswords......lol Beer 4U2

Thx,
Lee

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 12-12-08 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Removed email address
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-08, 06:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, it matters. When you press the primer, one side will push air out. This side goes to the hose that goes straight into the tank. The other hose (suction side) goes to the carb.

Old 12-12-08, 12:06 PM
don't take this the wrong way, but....

I appreciate the effort, but I think you have it backwards my friend. The (suction side) goes to the tank, and the side the air/gas comes out, goes to the carb. Also, I figured out it can only work one-way, but I was wondering if anyone knew which port on the primer went where. (One is longer than the other.)So, I decided to just hook-up a temporary hose and see which one sucks, and which one squirts. Thx again! Beer 4U2

"Yes, it matters. When you press the primer, one side will push air out. This side goes to the hose that goes straight into the tank. The other hose (suction side) goes to the carb".

Old 12-12-08, 01:20 PM
Nope, it's you that have it backwards, cheese is very much correct in his advice!

The primer (which is actually a purge pump), draws fuel from the tank through the carburetor and returns it into the fuel tank.

The suction side draws the fuel from the carburetor through the hose that has the fuel filter attached to it and is attached to the fuel pump side of the carburetor. The fuel is drawn into the bulb and then pushed out and back into the fuel tank. The short nipple on the bulb assembly is the suction and the longer side is the discharge.

http://www.imower.com/images/primer%20bulb.jpg

Old 12-13-08, 12:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No offense taken, but....the way I advised is the correct way. It is possible it may run the other way, but not as intended...along with the fact that the return line has no filter on it or weight or length to it, so it won't use up a tank of gas. It will only use the gas that is as high as the return line, and will clog the carb in short order due to no filter.

If it won't run the way I said to connect it, then there are other problems.

Old 12-20-08, 05:41 AM
Thumbs up I stand corrected!

Thanks very much for the "very" valuable info guys. Cheese, I didn't mean to shun your advice, I was merely using a logical conclusion. After 30yearTech reexplained it, I understand now the principal. Also thanks for the great diagram and your very concise answer. You answered my original question and the photo is exactly like mine.............Merry Xmas to all, and Happy holidays gentleman! Beer 4U2

Lee

Old 12-20-08, 07:36 AM
That's Great, glad we could help. Have a wonderful Holiday Season...