Ariens 927 with 9hp Tecumseh

Old 12-10-08, 10:54 AM
Ariens 927 with 9hp Tecumseh

Brand new blower, ran great first two uses, now yesterday when I really needed it, it would run 5-10 minutes and then sputter and quit. The longer I let it sit before restarting, the longer it would run before quitting. I changed the oil per the owner's manual after the first two initial hours of use. Gas is new, but has been in gas can in garage for about two months. It sounds like it is backfiring and I can see blue flame in the exhaust when it does. But when it quits it sounds like it isn't getting gas and it won't restart without priming. I know a little about small engines and carbs, but this one doesn't look like any I have seen before. My father in law said something about the new engines are fixed jet carbs, something about EPA emissions standards. Help?!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-08, 11:29 AM
Try running it with the gas cap loose. Either the vent in the gas cap is clogged or the gas line is clogged. And, yes I have seen new snowblowers that have plastic "chips" in them from the manufacturing process. Where did you buy it?

Old 12-10-08, 02:00 PM
There is no vent in the gas cap that I can see, so I will try that.

I bought it from Home Depot, so I'll be taking it elsewhere for service if necessary. It is still within the 90 warranty or whatever, but how aggravating for a brand new piece of equipment!

Old 12-10-08, 02:10 PM
you are correct as to not being able to see a vent. These caps vent differntly. And yes, you will have to take it somewhere fior service as Home Depot does not do service.
HD employees set up the equipment, but none are trained to do it. Had one in here last month that was bought last winter and they just bolted the skid shoes on the side and were 3 imches off the ground. They should be touching the ground.

Old 12-11-08, 02:37 PM
Well I loosened the gas cap and it ran for about 25 min straight without any of the previously mentioned problems. I hope (fingers crossed) that it was this simple thing. At least now the rest of the end of my driveway is clear