hasqvarna ride on not starting

Old 12-10-08, 02:50 PM
Angry hasqvarna ride on not starting

I have a 4140g four wheel steer 14hp v twin ride on that was sitting out side under a tarp for about 5 months, was working fine last time i used it. now it will not start very very weak spark
tested coils and have 4.38 amps magneto is giving me readings from 70 down to 5 not sure whats going on there . i think i have tested all switches properly but not sure. i did start the mower with a 12v 1200 amp jump start not sure if that may have done any damage.

please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-08, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What engine do you have? I'm not sure what readings you're taking, but I'm assuming you do have a spark, correct? How are you determining it is weak?

Old 12-11-08, 12:03 AM
i have a 14hp v twin vanguard. if i touch the rocket cover with my screw driver from the spark plug lead you can see a very small spark but when you move it away to resemble a gap it will not spark.i am testing the magneto with a multimeter unplugging from regulator turning engine over and putting tester leads straight from magneto wires.

Old 12-11-08, 06:05 AM
Read the information at the links below before you waste time trying to identify an ignition problem. I do not think you have an ignition problem.

How does the Magnetron Ignition System function? How can it be tested?

How does the ignition system function?

Double-check your tractor model number. I have never heard of a Husqvarna model 4140g and it is not in my Husqvarna manual database. The model and type number is on your engine. I suspect your tractor is articulated steering not, four wheel steering.

Husqvarna Outdoor Power Equipment - Tractor & Riding Mower Buying Tips

Are you looking at ignition because the engine would not start?

Old 12-11-08, 01:55 PM
I also tried to find my model and have found no joy. the model i have taken from the id plate underneath the seat.yes i am looking for ignition problem as i think i have tested all safety switches successfully but am not 100% sure , i may have missed a switch that may have gotten moisture in it and maybe shorting out ?. will a switch let you turn the engine over but not give you spark or should they all short the engine so it will not turn over ?. i would like to add i have taken my ride on to two mower repairers........no luck. hence the effort to fix it my self.

thank you very much i will go to the links today

Old 12-12-08, 03:22 PM
i have noticed that i have spark for a second and then nothing

Old 12-12-08, 05:19 PM
You might want to simply try priming the engine to see if it will start and run off the prime. It's unusual for an ignition problem to develop from just sitting a few months. It's much more common to develop a carburetor or fuel issue over this amount of time. It is very possible for water to have condensed in the fuel tank and fuel system over this period of time, particularly if the mower was stored with fuel.

The solid state ignitions on Briggs engines may not always develop bright spark especially at cranking speeds, an inline spark tester would be the best way to check for spark. You can not look at spark and determine whether it's weak or not.

Old 12-12-08, 10:11 PM
Smile victory at last

my dad and i traced the problem back to the earth wire from the coils. we isolated the wire completely from the engine and still no spark. we then took the wire off the coils engine started but could not turn it off , we simply earthed out engine and it turned off. what we found was a little bit of the insulation on the earth wire was worn through and earthing out on the inlet manifold as this wire has some sort of resisstor or diode in line with the wire. so we put heat shrink over the wire....... good as gold.why it hasn't happened any other time is anyone's guess.

i would like to thank airman,cheese, 30yeartech for all there help
and hope this helps anybody with the same problem.

cheers
Beer 4U2

Old 12-13-08, 12:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's good news. I was about to suggest checking the diode in the kill wire after reading your replies, until I got to the last reply when you got it fixed.

Good call on determining the ignition system to be the fault.