Snowblower Help

Old 12-10-08, 11:39 PM
Snowblower Help

I have a Murray Noma Spirit 5 hp 2003 model that throws snow great (about 20-30 feet) 6 forward 2 reverse speeds but when I get in 4-5" of snow the engine bogs down and has killed twice. Even when I have the forward speeds at it's slowest setting it seems like the engine does not have enough power and will kill now and then. It does a great job blowing the snow but at 4-5" of fluffy snow I can't believe it should bog down. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I cannot find an owners manual for this and called toll free to Murray and they said the owners manual is no longer available. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-08, 05:11 AM
You may not be able to pull the Noma manual from their website, but I suspect other models with similar specs in the Murray line will have identical components with about the same design. Those manuals are available online.

With light snow on a 22 inch blower the engine should be able to handle it. I would put in a new plug and fuel. Also, the main jet may need to be cleaned. I wouldn't do any adjusting on the carburetor, though. The original setting should still be OK.

I've always had good luck with Seafoam (auto parts stores and Walmarts) to clean carbs on the engine. Follow directions on the can and add some to the oil as well as the gasoline. If varnish is the problem, it should clean it up.

Old 12-11-08, 05:20 AM
Got the model number? I, too, agree that you may have a carb problem.

Old 12-11-08, 06:34 PM
The model number is D2450050 and Murray said the part number for the owners manual is WQ9957 but they do not make it anymore. Also someone asked me if there was a govenor on the machine. Did they put one on snowblowers??

Old 12-12-08, 06:12 AM
You need to clean the carb. Yes, snowblower engines have governors. But they only work right if the carb is clean. A dirty carb will cause the governor to work improperly.

Old 12-12-08, 06:49 AM
I have little to NO snow thrower experience. When attending update schools in my area snow equipment was brushed over. I do have some literature that may help you. Send me a PM with an email address and I will send you what PDF documents I have on Murray snow equipment.

All engines have governors. Post the model number, etc. from your engine and maybe we can determine how many RPM the engine should be running at wide-open throttle. If it is not running at the correct RPM this could be part of the problem.

To check the RPM you could take your snow blower to a shop and have them check and set the RPM or purchase an inexpensive and accurate device to check the RPM. You may find the devise in your area or purchase one online. I have seen them sell as low as $11.00 to $30.00. This device is commonly known as a Vibra Tach. Here is a European website that has all the information about it TREYSIT Sirometer, revolution-meters, frequency-meters, resonance-meters

Old 12-13-08, 12:46 AM
Thank You to all who have responded to my questions I appreciate it. Have a great season.

Old 12-14-08, 01:10 AM
NOMA performance

Originally Posted by rjm007 View Post
I have a Murray Noma Spirit 5 hp 2003 model that throws snow great (about 20-30 feet) 6 forward 2 reverse speeds but when I get in 4-5" of snow the engine bogs down and has killed twice. Even when I have the forward speeds at it's slowest setting it seems like the engine does not have enough power and will kill now and then. It does a great job blowing the snow but at 4-5" of fluffy snow I can't believe it should bog down. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I cannot find an owners manual for this and called toll free to Murray and they said the owners manual is no longer available. Help!

Snowblowers are notorious for running poorly after storage, mainly because they aren't used much and few people take the time to run the carbs dry or stabilize the gas. If yours has been used every year and you have put fresh gas into it this season you should be able to just tweak the high and low speed mixture screws to get it running at peak performance. This assumes the spark plug is in good shape and is tight! This also assumes the carburetor is mounted tightly onto the engine!! Most 4 stroke snowblower engines have adjustable mix screws. Look at the bottom side of the carb's float bowl. The high speed screw if there is one typically is a knurled-head screw with a screwdriver slot, pointing straight down from the center of the float bowl. The idle mix screw, which isn't as important to perfectly adjust, will be on the side of the carb near the top and close to the engine side of the carb. There is usually but not always also an idle speed screw that holds open the belcrank which is attached to the carb's throttle plate shaft. Start the engine and let it warm up. Open the throttle with the speed control to maximum speed. It may be wise to put in ear plugs also if you put your head close to the engine. Use a screwdriver or your fingers to first turn the high speed mix screw slowly counterclockwise, listening for any increase in RPM's. If RPM's increase, keep turning the screw until RPM's begin to decrease again. Turn the screw back clockwise until you find peak RPM's. Then turn the screw counterclockwise again about 1/8 turn, to compensate for when the engine is under load (I.E when the auger and drivetrain is engaged). Using a screwdriver, follow the above procedure with the idle mix screw, although you can just leave that screw at the peak RPM point. If the idle speed is too high, use the idle speed screw to bring it down. You may have to repeat the above procedure after a few hours of running time to optimize performance. Run the carb dry at the end of the season!!

Old 12-14-08, 07:45 PM
Thanks electromechanic for the information I appreciate it Wish I had the owners manual for this machine. I need to get in touch with Murray to see what type of oil or lube to add to the auger gear case also. Thanks again to those who have responded to this post.

Old 12-19-08, 11:43 PM
Unhappy Noma performance

I have not tried any of the adjustments yet but what I did find was a very carboned up plug, and when I took the cover off and looked at the Carb it was black with carbon. There are three adjustment screws as stated earlier. One is on the bottom of the bowl one toward the top of the carb and another on the side of the carb down by the float bowl. I sprayed a carb cleaner all over the area to clean it up and will be getting a new plug in the morning. I'll see what happens next. Is it the fuel mixture that is off that would make it carbon up so bad? I'm also trying to figure out if the plug is the right one for this blower (CJ8). I have no manual and cannot locate one. Murray says it is no longer available. I can't even find my model number on their site (D24500) Noma Spirit 5 hp with snow king engine.

Old 12-20-08, 05:40 AM
As I asked before, “Post the model number, etc. from your engine”. Otherwise I can offer no help.

Also, look your machine over carefully for the correct model number. The number you previously posted is not the model number.

Maybe you can identify your thrower from the parts lookup link below. They list Murray snow throwers manufacured in 2003.

http://www.milacalawn.com/parts.asp

Old 12-20-08, 05:09 PM
Tecumseh SnowKing engines use J19LM spark plug.

Old 12-20-08, 11:42 PM
Noma Spirit 5 HP snow king engine

The snowblower is a Noma Spirit 5hp with a snow king Tech engine. The plug that is in there is a CJ8 which NAPA said they thought would be the right one. The model number on the plate located on the back of the snowblower is D24500 50 the number after that is 382.

Old 12-21-08, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by rjm007 View Post
The snowblower is a Noma Spirit 5hp with a snow king Tech engine. The plug that is in there is a CJ8 which NAPA said they thought would be the right one. The model number on the plate located on the back of the snowblower is D24500 50 the number after that is 382.
The thread on the CJ8 are too short. That engine uses J19LM.

Old 12-21-08, 10:05 AM
Older than you think

RJM007 who told you that this is a 2003 unit it is not! It is a 1993 unit which could explain some of the confusion the guys are having. The carbon on the carb is from the loose or damaged muffler spaying exhaust all over the carb. This is part of the problem as the carb is getting dirty air. You need to correct the problem of the muffler first and than move on to the carb. It would be most helpful if you would post the numbers from the engine they will be stamped on the blower housing (the part the rewind is attached to) by the spark plug or there is a sticker on the blower housing (the part the rewind is attached to) under the carburetor. The number will be HS50 or HSSK50 and some more numbers. Those numbers will help us to help you. In any case you will need to remove the carb and properly clean it. Take pictures of the linkage before you remove the carb so you will know how to put it back together.

AJ

Old 12-27-08, 10:41 PM
The Murray site said the number after the model number which in this case is (382) breaks down as this: The 3 is the model year (2003) The 82 would be the prduction date (82 days) in the year. This machine looks too new to be a 1993, It looks like a newer model when I compare it to whats out there. Very clean machine with just some surface rust around the auger housing. The Tecumseh engine is a HSSK50 67317M if this helps. I sure wish I could find an owners manual for this machine. Murray Noma Spirit Mdl D24500 50

Old 12-28-08, 09:45 AM
Yes it is that old

rjm007 the reason that I know that it is a 1993 model is because of the model number of the unit D24500 50. The "D" in the model number in this case is the year of manufacture 1993. Murray used this model numbering system from 1990 to 1997. In 1998 they changed the numbering system. All snow product now starts with a 6 and than 5 more numbers and than an "X" and a number indicating who they made it for. The 3 in 382 is 1993 in this case not 2003.

You can find a parts break down here:
Murray st Parts Diagram Index for D2450-050
AJ

Last edited by aj-allen; 12-28-08 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added link to parts break down
Old 12-28-08, 06:39 PM
Engine Plugs

That engine uses J19LM.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.playstationreview.com/playstation-reviews/pages/1825/what-is-the-best-psp-action-or-shooting-game-that-has-teamplay.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.playstationreview.com/playstation-reviews/pages/1825/what-is-the-best-psp-action-or-shooting-game-that-has-teamplay.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Old 12-28-08, 10:22 PM
Thank You for the information, even old guys like me can learn something new.

Old 02-10-09, 10:38 AM
I also have a NOMA 5hp. A little older than yours though - from early 90's. My unit had sat for several years but ran beautifully after some needed cleaning and tuning.

I couldn't wait for the first good snow so I could test her out. Well, same problem you seem to be having. Only about 5-6 inches of fluffy snow on the ground and it kept stalling out as soon as I touched snow. I found that the mechanical governor on this unit was stuck so that the engine would run at idle but couldn't adjust the throttle under load. Check the governor linkage rods, spring, and governor itself for sticking or nonmoving parts.