need help, indypower

Old 12-11-08, 08:45 AM
need help, indypower

regarding the brass gear in my gearbox
do you think the gear will be ok if i smooth out the rough edges?
i really can't afford to buy a new gear
local john deere dealer recommended cornhead
grease for the gearbox and silicone for the gasket

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-08, 09:59 AM
As long as the teeth on the gear are not broken, and there are no cracks in the gear, I see no problem.
I never heard of "cornhead" grease. Must be a John Deere thing.
Yes, the 2 halves of the gear housing use RTV silcone for a gasket. Put on a thin line(about 1/8") as it will squeeze out.
Grease, I use EP-00 grease. This is a "semi-fluid". It goes in as a grease, then as it is worked, it thins out into a fluid, then when it cools, goes back to a grease. It should take about 4oz. to fill. And it only needs to be filled up to the bottom of the brass gear. All it does it lube the teeth. A 4oz bottle should run about $4.50. This is the same grease used on chainsaw tips.

Old 12-11-08, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by indypower View Post
As long as the teeth on the gear are not broken, and there are no cracks in the gear, I see no problem.
I never heard of "cornhead" grease. Must be a John Deere thing.
Yes, the 2 halves of the gear housing use RTV silcone for a gasket. Put on a thin line(about 1/8") as it will squeeze out.
Grease, I use EP-00 grease. This is a "semi-fluid". It goes in as a grease, then as it is worked, it thins out into a fluid, then when it cools, goes back to a grease. It should take about 4oz. to fill. And it only needs to be filled up to the bottom of the brass gear. All it does it lube the teeth. A 4oz bottle should run about $4.50. This is the same grease used on chainsaw tips.
thank you,so much
no broken teeth and no cracks as i can see
when i first opened it up it had a mix of black and white grease in there
i will go with the EP-OO grease

Old 12-12-08, 05:51 AM
The "cornhead" grease is a high grade lubricant used in the corn picking accessory on a John Deere combine. That has the snapping rollers and a few other things to harvest corn.

The two "heads" for the combine are the "cornhead" and the "grainhead". The latter is used for wheat, oats, beans and other grass type grains.