Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

12.5 murray wont start

12-11-08, 01:17 PM   #1  
12.5 murray wont start

A friend gave me a 12.5 40" murray riding mower ,so i got it home and started looking at it to see if i could get it to run. i got it to turn over but it will not start it is like there is no spark or fuel all it does is turn over if any body could help me or tell me what could be wrong thanks

Sponsored Links

MO

12-11-08, 02:40 PM   #2  
Post the mower model number usually found under the seat and the engine mfg and model numbers usually found one the engine schroud. Have a good one. Geo

12-11-08, 03:06 PM   #3  
12.5 murray

the model #405002x8a the engine b&s

12-11-08, 03:10 PM   #4  
12.5 murray

engine # 28v707 B&S could there been something on the mower to make my battery go dead

MI

12-12-08, 02:13 AM   #5  
Posted By: geogrubb Post the mower model number usually found under the seat and the engine mfg and model numbers usually found one the engine schroud. Have a good one. Geo
You don't always need the model number just to do simple trouble shooting

Check the battery make sure you got 12 volts. Sense it turns over pull the sparkplug with it still in the boot and hold it to the engine block and crank the engine(use rubber gloves or rubber handled pliers to prevent shock). Do you see spark at the plug. If so then its not getting fuel. Put a teaspoon of gas in the sparkplug hole and install the plug. Crank the engine. If it fires or runs for a second or so then the carb needs cleaning or rebuilding.

Search this Thread