tecumseh engine problem

Old 12-11-08, 07:02 PM
tecumseh engine problem

I have a Tecumseh 2 cycle engine on a snowblower. The engine starts fine, but idles mostly at a slow speed with short irregular bursts at normal engine operating speed. I have tinkered with the low and high speed carb adjustment screws, but it hasn't corrected the problem. The sparkplug was replaced and the engine operated normally for a few minutes, then reverted to the above problem. The gasoline was replaced with the same results. The carb and primer rubber hoses were replaced with no improvement. The carb was removed and blown out with air with no improvement. I also checked the exhaust exit port to make sure it wasn't carboned up, but it was alright. Any suggestions what might be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-08, 07:26 PM
A few possibilities, but I think I would start with a fuel filter. then check the fuel cap on the tank for venting. From there the diaphragm in the carburetor. The whole thing sounds like a fuel supply problem to the carburetor.

I believe the "fixing", short term, with the spark plug probably allowed fuel to get past the problem in the fuel system.

The diaphragm is the fuel pump for the carb and available in kits. They aren't too bad to install and are often a source of fuel problems.

Old 12-12-08, 01:28 PM
If you could post your engine model and spec number that would help us know what type of setup your engine has and what may be helpful for you to look at.

Old 12-13-08, 02:32 PM
The engine is a 2 1/4 HP model AH520 type 1591. I have replaced the diaphram with no correction of the problem. The fuel tank does not have a removeable fuel filter, but it does appear to have some sort of plastic screen built inside the tank at the outlet. Perhaps the entire tank has to be replaced? Thanks for your interest.

Old 12-13-08, 02:39 PM
No don't replace the tank. Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor and elevate the tank above the carburetor. Watch the flow of fuel out of the line. It should be a good consistent flow to empty the tank.

Old 12-13-08, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all your help. I'll try your suggestion tomarrow.

Old 12-13-08, 08:23 PM
You may want to remove the inlet needle and seat to be sure it is clean in behind it. You may also want to replace the needle and seat as it may not be allowing sufficient fuel to flow through.

Old 12-19-08, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by marbobj View Post
No don't replace the tank. Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor and elevate the tank above the carburetor. Watch the flow of fuel out of the line. It should be a good consistent flow to empty the tank.
I did this and the gas flow appeared to be sufficient. I also replaced the gas cap, but this did not correct the problem. The engine still starts, but only stays running with the choke fully engaged, or if I keep pushing the primer button. Obviously the engine is not getting enough gas. The engine also expels a lot of smoke and leaves oil below the exhaust pipe if I run it a lot in the same spot.