Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda EB5000X generator, no AC output

NH

12-14-08, 08:32 PM   #1  
Honda EB5000X generator, no AC output

Honda EB5000X
SN EA& 3021610

I bought a used, non-functional, Honda generator at a yard sale for $25. I got the engine running by cleaning out the carb, but I get no AC at any of the plugs for either the 120V or 120V/240V setting. I popped the cap off the generator portion and measured the voltage at the four "main" terminal screws relative to the earth ground screw. Two measured 0 Vac, two measured about 4Vac.

Any suggestions on how to proceed with the debugging?

I also need some carb parts. The needle that screws horizontally into the bottom of the float bowl is very corroded.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-14-08, 10:17 PM   #2  
The screw going into the carb bowl is just a drain screw...not vital to engine function.

I suggest running the engine at the specified rpm, then plug in a drill, put it in reverse, pull the trigger on the drill, and rotate the drill by hand quickly. This should create enough of a tiny field for the generator to pick up and polarize the field in the windings. If it doesn't work, try with the drill in fwd. If still nothing, post back.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NH

12-16-08, 07:51 PM   #3  
I tried plugging in the drill and rotating it in both directions with the direction switch in each direction (four total combinations). I did not get any powered rotation of the drill after any of the attenpts. It was difficult to rotate the drill chuck with any speed, so I am not sure that I was able to spin it fast enough.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-16-08, 08:32 PM   #4  
If you think you weren't turning the drill fast enough, try a smaller drill (borrow the neighbor's). Make sure you're pulling to drill trigger with the generator running while you do this. If it does not polarize, then there may be other problems in the generator that need to be checked. Plug a light bulb into the set and run it. Manually rev the engine a little higher and see if the light bulb responds.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TN

12-17-08, 07:21 AM   #5  
The procedure to excite the field on this generator is a bit detailed and requires removal of the automatic voltage regulator (AVR) and connecting a 12-volt battery to the brush terminals. If you would like the procedure PM me with an email address to send it. It will be Thursday before I can print it and scan it.

TX

12-18-08, 08:07 PM   #6  
i had the same problem,open the back of the generator,look to see if the copassitor is leaking...sorry cant spell

01-05-09, 03:52 AM   #7  
hi

Posted By: d-cubed I tried plugging in the drill and rotating it in both directions with the direction switch in each direction (four total combinations). I did not get any powered rotation of the drill after any of the attenpts. It was difficult to rotate the drill chuck with any speed, so I am not sure that I was able to spin it fast enough.
Hi i am new to this site so please be patient with me i am also buying a eb5000 with no output power . Did you get it fixed ? & how did you do it
Larry

Search this Thread