Sears Craftsman II 8 hp snowblower

Old 01-25-08, 10:27 AM
Sears Craftsman II 8 hp snowblower

Hi all,

I bought this snowblower a few years ago, used of course. The person I purchased it from after painting the machine and removed all badging. The only way I found out it was a craftsman was searching for it on the internet.

My problem is the main shaft that has a small cog and is attached to clutch has split in two. I need to call sears and order the part but dont know the model number. Can anyone tell me where it would be located?

The snowblower is working fine, it still throws snow, but because the shaft holding the clutch system has broken the chain connecting to the wheels does not operate anymore. But I can push it manually, and thats not fun

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-08, 10:37 AM
The only way I can help is for you to look on the controls, cables, belts, etc for part numbers, I might be able to isolate the model number that way.

Fish

Old 01-30-08, 05:58 PM
Hey Fish, I am having the same problem identifying the model number which has worn off of my machine.

it too is a Craftsman II, 8hp tecumseh, 24" cut
model number begins with either C93 or C83 and ends in 8-0
Serial # is SC0076605

part No for the lower cabinet (steel box that housse the drive assembly etc) is 308613

Part no for the friction wheel (rubber) carrier is 085501

part no for the friction wheel itself is 590574 (Tecumseh OEM part No)

part no for the plastic faring that sits on the handles through which the gear shifter sits is 306523

Any ideas?

thanks in advance. sorry for the post hijack.....

Old 01-30-08, 09:50 PM
Don't know how mutch help this will be........BUT,
If it's a craftsman the model # will start with 536.xxxxxx.356 as a prefix tells them that it's a snow thrower,just like 143 means pushmower.And on all of the IPL's on snowblowers that I've looked at the name/model decal has been behind the augar on the top left.Or on a plate on top of the augar on the left side.(standing behind mechine).

Old 01-31-08, 04:37 PM
This snowblower is most likely an AYP or possibly Murray. Seems like every "Craftsman II" I have worked on is an AYP or Murray.
Here is a list of Craftsman model number pre-fixes & who makes them:

Craftsman Manufacturers

103..Roper

123..Yardman

131...American Yard Products

133...American Yard Product

143..Tecumesch

219..MTD

247..MTD

250..Case

271..Kiortz/Echo

278..Roper

291..American Yard Products

355..Roper

358.. Poulan//Weedeater

390..King-O-Lawn

500..Briggs &Stratton

502..Murray

517..Homelite/Jacobson

536...Murray

538..Murray

647..Roper

639..King-O-Lawn

835..Roper

854..White Farm Equipment

911..Roper

917..Roper

917..American Yard Products

988..Kubota

987..TroyBilt

991..Lawnboy

Old 01-31-08, 07:01 PM
oppps (stupit eyes,of fingers).In my previous post I failed to type the model prefix right the two times I tried.even I find it comfusing.It is suposed to be 536.xxxxxx.Sorry eveone. and going by indypower500 list,I think that means that murray makes snowblowers for craftsman.

Old 01-31-08, 08:27 PM
Friction Wheel Rubber

I have a 247. snow thrower but can't seem to find the p/n for just the rubber friction wheel. The whole assy (p/N 656-0012A) is $55 but all I need is the rubber. Any ideas?

Old 02-01-08, 08:43 AM
Yours is MTD

Originally Posted by admiral1381 View Post
I have a 247. snow thrower but can't seem to find the p/n for just the rubber friction wheel. The whole assy (p/N 656-0012A) is $55 but all I need is the rubber. Any ideas?
Part number 656-0012A is the flywheel not the friction wheel assy. Part number 935-0243B is just the rubber friction wheel. MTD made your snow thrower.

AJ

Old 02-01-08, 08:47 AM
Part numbers

Originally Posted by Altimatic View Post
Hi all,

I bought this snowblower a few years ago, used of course. The person I purchased it from after painting the machine and removed all badging. The only way I found out it was a craftsman was searching for it on the internet.

My problem is the main shaft that has a small cog and is attached to clutch has split in two. I need to call sears and order the part but dont know the model number. Can anyone tell me where it would be located?

The snowblower is working fine, it still throws snow, but because the shaft holding the clutch system has broken the chain connecting to the wheels does not operate anymore. But I can push it manually, and thats not fun

If you can post some pictures of the broken parts we can find the part numbers for you

AJ

Old 12-14-08, 12:17 PM
Valve problems

Hi all,
I have a craftsman II, i bought it used last year and it worked great. We got out first snow fall yesterday, i used it for a few hours with no problems untill i ran out of gas. After filling it with gas i couldn't get it to start, upon pulling the plug i discoverd that i had no compression. I pulled the head off it this morning and found that the intake valve was stuck in the open postion. Does anyone have any sugestions what to do now? or maybe a drawing of this motor? is there a hatch or somthing that i can take off and see the camshaft? (without haveing to pull the motor and split the crank case?)

Thanx for your help
Chris

Old 12-14-08, 07:20 PM
Bad gas

Originally Posted by chris121277 View Post
Hi all,
I have a craftsman II, i bought it used last year and it worked great. We got out first snow fall yesterday, i used it for a few hours with no problems untill i ran out of gas. After filling it with gas i couldn't get it to start, upon pulling the plug i discoverd that i had no compression. I pulled the head off it this morning and found that the intake valve was stuck in the open postion. Does anyone have any sugestions what to do now? or maybe a drawing of this motor? is there a hatch or somthing that i can take off and see the camshaft? (without haveing to pull the motor and split the crank case?)

Thanx for your help
Chris
Chris you should have started a new post this is an engine problem not a snow thrower problem and would get more members looking at a new post. Your problem is old gas that has varnished the intake valve. You need to remove the heat box that covers the carburetor take pictures of the linkage and then remove the carburetor. Behind the carburetor is the breather it covers the valve box remove it and you have access to the valves. Compress the spring and remove the valve keeper pull out the valve clean off the varnish from the valve and the guide. Lube the valve reassemble.

AJ