Way to save a boat load of money on V belts

Old 12-15-08, 07:20 AM
Thumbs up Way to save a boat load of money on V belts

I was disgusted that Sears wanted $32.00 for a simple auger belt so I went looking for a cheaper solution.

I found this website AYP Belts Listing
which is basically a cross-reference based on your belt part number. It'll give you the corresponding belt size.

I brought the size to my local auto parts store and got a new belt for less than $5! And it works great!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-08, 05:41 PM
Standard automotive belts are not the same as fractional HP belts used on most outdoor power equipment. While they may work they may not last very long. Automotive belts are generally cut with different angles so they will not ride on the pulley's the same, and most OPE belts are Kevlar wrapped to give more tensile strength particularly for clutching applications. In some applications standard auto belts will work fine, but for clutching or load applications, I would recommend an original type belt.

Last edited by 30yearTech; 12-16-08 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-16-08, 12:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree. An automotive belt won't last very long in most riding mower applications.

Old 12-16-08, 05:32 AM
Hmm ut oh. Although... I could go through 7 of these belts before paying for one OEM.

Will post back to this thread when the automotive belt kicks the bucket to update on how long it lasted.

Old 12-16-08, 05:41 AM
Automotive belts are not designed to take the stress that outdooor power equipment puts on them.
Last winter, we had "plowable" snow every 2-3 days from Jan thru the end of March. In late Jan, I had customer bring in his snowblower to find out why he kept breaking belts every week. He was buying automotive belts. I replaced them with the correct belts. He didn't break another belt.
And here in "snow country", you need your snowblower to do its job RIGHT NOW!!!

Old 12-16-08, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Hmm ut oh. Although... I could go through 7 of these belts before paying for one OEM.

Will post back to this thread when the automotive belt kicks the bucket to update on how long it lasted.
If the belts last then that's great. If they need to be replaced often, then it's the amount of time it takes to replace the belt that makes the difference. If replacement can be done easily and very quickly, then perhaps the cheaper belts will be a good solution. If it take a long time and is difficult, then I would go with the more durable belt. Best of luck, I hope the cheaper belts work out for you.

Old 12-16-08, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post

Big question: Is it worth the aggrevation of having to spend the time to change 1 or both belts every couple of snowstorms or even worse having to change belts when you are half way thru snowblowing?

Old 12-16-08, 10:43 AM
Good points guys! But since the belt is already on there, it is going to stay for now.

Thanks for the tip though, will buy the OEM belt next time.