Generator won't - generate that is.

Old 12-15-08, 01:23 PM
Generator won't - generate that is.

Hi,

I have an older Coleman Powermate generator. We have been running it for the past several days as we wait for power to be restored here in the central part of MA.

Yesterday, it stopped working. Symptoms were... all was well until I heard the engine stop. I went out and restarted it but we were still not getting any power.

The engine runs fine. I've checked the brushes and they are fine. Circuit breakers are not popped. Back to reading the manual and discovered the concept of "flashing the field".

While we had been running ok for several days, what seems to have precipitated this is my son plugging in an electric waffle iron. I would have expected any overload to pop the circuit breaker but that doesn't seem to be the case. Thought maybe the field had been discharged somehow.

So, as described in the manual, hooked 6V battery, negative terminal to negative brush, and touched positive to positive brush. This does produced some small sparking. I also plugged in a 60W light to one of the generator plugs. WHen the 6W battery is connected and the generator is running, the light will work fine. But as soon as I remove the positive battery/brush connection, the light will go out.

Any ideas or possibilities to get this working again before we lose everything in the frig?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-08, 03:22 PM
Go to the link below and follow the procedure. It usually works on generators of your type. That is if loss of field magnatism is the problem.

Good luck

PER Notebook - Generator Field Flashing

Old 12-16-08, 12:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds kinda like a failure to me. Something shorted, or possibly burned in two.

Old 12-17-08, 07:58 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Flashing didn't work, and I agree on the last post. It appears that the one capacitor in the circuit needed to initiate the charge has gone bad. I'll need to replace it.

Thanks again.

Old 12-17-08, 03:51 PM
my experiance with colemans is that they have a problem with rectifiers going bad.