Scotts 1642H Wiring Problem

Old 06-29-07, 04:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a Scotts 16HP 42" Cut riding lawn mower that was given to me due to my buddy's dog chewing the wiring harness up. The engine is a Kohler CV16S. I have the mower partially wired, but have a few questions. First does anyone have a wiring schematic for this mower. Second there are three wires comeing from the stator a yellow, a black and a green wire. The yellow and black are in a plug while the green is by it-self. What does the green wire do? I have metered it and it appears to be putting out 24vac. I have checked every exploded view drawing and do not see a voltage regulator on this mower. My last question is how does this mower charge the battery? What wires are feeding the charge back through? Thanks in advance any help is appreciated.

Old 06-29-07, 08:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The service manual from Kohler, which u can log in here as a guest and access http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp (Must use Internet Explorer 6.0 or better) shows the green wire as being an optional brake. The test states that it should have 35VAC or better...?
There is no schematic but there is a wiring diagram which may be of some use. You may also want to note your spec number. CV16S-43???

Old 06-30-07, 02:34 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Complete and all ID numbers will be needed to better help you out. Not only do we need the specification number of the engine but also the serial number. And, we also need the model and serial number off the chassis of the unit. Without the chassis ID but based on the fact that it is a 1642H would lead me to believe that you have a John Deere manufactured unit (as opposed to a Murray manufactured) and the John Deere website will help you out, if so.

Old 12-04-08, 12:50 PM
L

I too…have the same problem with wiring this mower and engine. The Kohler owners manual and service manual are of little to no help as
far as wiring up the engine….this engine is unlike the Kohler CV12.5, 13, 14’s.

There is a connector that has two red wires and one white (One red wire goes to the carb for the fuel safety solenoid and the other goes to
some sort of advance ignition Spark Module on the left side of the top blower housing(dip stick side). The White is ground.
My guess is the red wire goes to the battery and the white simply grounds to the frame. The red wire should have a kill switch somewhere in line and I would think a fuse or breaker is in there too.

And ….my question is the same…how does this unit charge a battery when running?........the green wire goes to some sort of brake?....
An electric brake or light of some sort?......and what does the yellow and black wire do?...the wiring diagram says the yellow is “Lights”.
The black is listed as “B+”…and the green says “Optional Brake”

The Kohler service manual shows some sort of voltage regulator/rectifier with two “AC” terminals and a center “B+” terminal.
Then it get’s real confusing, they don’t show where the wires go. The John Deere Dealer / and the Kohler dealer can’t seem to identify this regulator.

Usually I am pretty good at these things but this one has me baffled....I might start doing some bench testing tonite.

THIS IS A 16HP KOHLER COMMAND ENGINE
FAMILY SKH426U1G2RB
MODEL NO. CV16S
SPEC NO. 43518
DISP (CC) 426
SERIAL# 2901100353

MODEL SCOTTS 1642H
DOM 021099
JOHN DEERE PRODUCT ID# GX1642S022660

Old 12-04-08, 11:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The regulator has 3 wires going to it. The two outer ones are AC into the regulator. With the engine running full speed, look for 30 volts or more on these wires. The center wire is regulated DC voltage from the regulator to the battery. This should be 13.5 to 15.5 volts with engine running full speed.

Old 12-05-08, 09:06 AM
L
Awesome info, That helps a quite a bit!.....Thank you very much......now one other question, does anybody
know the John Deere part # or Kohler Part # to the regulator?.
None of the parts fellows can find it.
Unless it is located under under flywheel, I have not been able to find it either...and I know it has to have one somewhere.

(FYI...I am nearing completion of a basket case Scotts
1642H Mower that was handed to me in peices. So far, this is last thing I need for completion....it looks liek the day it rolled of the showroon floor)

Thanks for sharing this great info

Old 12-06-08, 12:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The regulator should be bolted to the engine shroud on the left rear corner of the engine. ...if you indeed have one. I just looked up your engine and see no regulator/rectifier for it listed. This one doesn't appear to have one. Do you see these 3 wires you mentioned earlier?

Old 12-08-08, 05:17 AM
L
They are showing a Voltage regulator/rectifier on the wiring diagram. However, where most normal Kohler rectifiers are on the right rear shroud, this just has a blank cover. On the other side (left front near the dispstick), there is a "Spark Advance Module". One could presume this is doubling as a regulator?....I will attempt to get the motor started and take a voltage reading from the red and white wires....in which, 12+ DC must be supplied to those wires to start it. One red wire goes to the saftey solenoid on the carb and the other red goes to this spark advace module. .....after the engine is igitned, it could produce an out put charge to the red/white wires....guess I'll shoot for that senerio. I let you know my findings.

Old 12-08-08, 07:32 AM
A
A service manual for your engine is available at The Power More Professionals Demand - Kohler Engines

The manual will be listed as CV460 and covers the CV16. Complete troubleshooting procedures are in the manual.

Old 12-09-08, 06:14 AM
L
Yep!..Thanks....and that where I found the voltage regulator/rectifier.

Page 72 in the Kohler Service Manual.
Figure 8-13. CV16 Electric Start Engines/15 amp Regulated Battery Charging System.

Old 12-09-08, 11:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The SAM doesn't have any influence on the charging system. Follow the wires that come out from under the flywheel and tell us where they go and what color they are.

Old 12-10-08, 06:26 AM
L
Three wires coming from the stator a yellow, a black and a green wire. The yellow and black are in a plug while the green is by it-self

Two wires from another connector, two red wires combined and one white......one red wire is the carb safety shut off solenoid, the other red wire goes to the SAM.

so how does this charge?

Old 12-10-08, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect the green wire is the kill wire to the coil and the yellow and black are from the stator. Does either wire have a diode inline? It may just look like a lump under shrink wrap in the wire.

Old 12-17-08, 08:29 AM
L
it looks as though to kill the engine, you simply sever the 12v line going to the engine.(to the SAM and the the carb solenoid)

The green, yellow wires are some sort of assy(brake ect) as mentioned earlier and there are no diodes to be found.

We still have not figured out how this charges the battery or if it even does.

At this point, we are giving up and putting this thing on ebay.
My head hurts from thinking too much...no one (any service dealer) has a clue on this thing in my tri-state area. Time to move on.

a simple CV13S will do fine for a replacent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: