Coleman Powermate Engine Problem

Old 12-16-08, 06:08 PM
Coleman Powermate Engine Problem

Hello All,

New to this forum but it would seem there is a lot of useful information here. Here is my problem. I have a Coleman Powermate that was given to me by my brother. It has not been used for several years. Today I checked the oil and drained all of the old fuel out of it and then pulled the plug to check for a spark. I put freash gas in and it was off and running. I let it run for around an hour or so and shut it off using the kill switch. I then went to restart it and nothing. I thought it was flooded and I went and got a new plug for it but went I checked it was not getting a spark. What could have gone wrong in such a short time? Thanks for any and all help.

Wolfgang

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-08, 08:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome Wolfgang!

What engine is on it? Many of these have low-oil safety switches that will not let it fire if the oil is low. Is the plug grounded while you check for spark?

Old 12-17-08, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the reply Cheese. It is a Briggs 8hp motor and that is exactly what the problem was. I was reading a little last night and then when out and looked at the oil level which looked fine to me as it did not appear to be too low. I added oil to bring it up to being full and checked the spark again and low and behold, a bright blue spark showed. put the plug back in and it was off and running. Thanks for a great site. I can see using this often.

Wolfgang

Old 12-17-08, 10:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help, and thanks for the update!

Merry Christmas and have a blessed new year!