generac 13 horse hard to pull

Old 12-17-08, 07:20 PM
Angry generac 13 horse hard to pull

i have a generac 13 horse engine on a 6500watt generator,when i pull start it is easy too pull,it will run great,then if i pull it again it is hard to pull like too much compression?try again it is easy.then hard?what do you think it is?valve adj?it is a ohv engine.i removed the valve cover,looks ok,just some black stain on the head near the pushrod,you know were the valve spring is.but thats it so if you could please help...thanks tomstr

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-08, 07:37 PM
you don't say how long it sets between attempts to start, but i would guess you have some fuel bypassing your needle and partially filling the cylinder thus hydraulically locking the cylinder. try installing a new needle and seat in the carb, also good practice to shut the fuel off when the gen is not running especially if you are carrying it around job site to job site.

Murphy was an optimist.

Old 12-17-08, 08:36 PM
Angry

you may be right,my fuel shutoff does not work.but if the cyl was full of fuel,whould it not run bad at first?and to answer you question.if i pull it i need to wait a sec for it to fully pull again,and should it stop vapor locking after the fuel is spent?then it should pull easy?hell i dont know.....

Old 12-17-08, 10:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Once time when you pull it and it's hard, remove a spark plug and see if it's wet. If so, fuel is locking the cylinder. If not, then check valve clearances.

Old 12-18-08, 05:40 PM
what do you think about carbon build up on the piston?

Old 12-18-08, 09:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not a likely cause of the problem.