Propane Conversion

Old 12-18-08, 08:41 AM
Propane Conversion

I purchased a used Dayton standby generator that runs on natural gas. I am looking for information on how to convert it to run on propane. It is a model # 3w056c with a Techumsa engine. Any help would be apprietiated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-08, 03:47 AM
can't say without seeing the manual but it may be as simple as installing a restrictor in the fuel system or moving an adjustment. i couldn't find the manual online.

Old 12-19-08, 09:47 AM
Propane has more BTUs per cubic foot, so you need less fuel to generate the same energy. That's about all the help I can offer.

Old 12-31-08, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the imput. I will probable take the carb apart to see what adjustments I can make.

Old 01-01-09, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by slc gmc View Post
Thanks for the imput. I will probable take the carb apart to see what adjustments I can make.
most of the adjustments i've seen are made at the regulator or nearby. the generac standby's require only the removal of a restrictor in the regulator inlet to convert to NG. the restrictor is used for LP. after that, a little fine tuning of the regulator is all that's needed in most cases.

Old 01-05-09, 08:15 AM
The generator came with a regulator attached to the gas line. I am wondering if I should keep this and adjust it or just hook straight to the house propane line after the regulator.

Old 01-06-09, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by slc gmc View Post
The generator came with a regulator attached to the gas line. I am wondering if I should keep this and adjust it or just hook straight to the house propane line after the regulator.
that regulator needs to stay. look for an adjustable valve at the inlet or base of the regulator. like i said, the newer units have a removable restrictor to go from LP to NG. the only safe way to do this without risking the unit is to aquire the installation manual.