Toro CCR Powerlite Snowblower Engine Seized??

Old 12-19-08, 12:37 PM
Toro CCR Powerlite Snowblower Engine Seized??

Hello,
Well a little background first. I have a Toro CCR Powerlite SS Electric Start Snowblower which I bought in june for 25 bucks the guy said he didnt use it for the past 3 years. I got it home and it started right up so I put some fuel safe in it and stored it till winter. I have been using it for about a month and no problems intill today. Chicago just got dumped on and this morning I used it for about a half hour the longest yet blowing heavy wet snow. It started getting less powerful and then died. I cant pull the cord out any and the electric start wont turn over, it trys but nothing. I think its siezed. Im going to get some of that marvel mystery oil and let it sit overnight. does any one else have any other ideas? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-08, 01:05 PM
Is it a two-cycle engine............Did you mix oil with the gas?

Old 12-19-08, 01:08 PM
Did you happen to run straight gas in it? Per the documentation I looked at it is a 2-cycle and if you used straight gas rather than the proper oil mix it has burnt itself up and the chances of getting it to free up aren't good. Have a good one. Geo

Old 12-19-08, 01:10 PM
I was using the gas that was in there from before it was working fine, I filled up today with the oil and gas mixture. Not sure if the gas that was in there was mix or not...

Old 12-19-08, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by dkittl20 View Post
I was using the gas that was in there from before it was working fine, I filled up today with the oil and gas mixture. Not sure if the gas that was in there was mix or not...
I ruined a chainsaw once.........I put the proper oil and the amount in the gas after the can was full but did not shake the can to mix it. The oil stayed near the top and the engine smoked excessively while the gas at the bottom of the can didn't have enough oil so the engine seized. The correct method is to put the oil in the can first, then the gas........

Old 12-19-08, 07:43 PM
Allright, well good news the engine is no longer seized up, I can pull the cord out and it sounds normal. I think that once it cooled down it broke loose. But before I start her up does anyone have anyother suggestions to prevent any damage that my accure on that first start up? I already drained the gas and replaced with with new oil gas mixture just to make sure. I am planning on still putting some oil in the spark plug opening just to give it some extra lube. Thanks

Old 12-20-08, 06:07 AM
what oil and at what ratio are you using ? are you running the engine at full operating speed ?

Old 12-20-08, 06:21 AM
Get the five digit model number from your blower and download a service manual from the Toro website. The manual offers plenty of information.

To help with engine related problems an engine model number, etc. is most beneficial.

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm