Crankcase Oil Shower

Old 12-19-08, 01:01 PM
Crankcase Oil Shower

As I cranked up my new snow blower's B&S 9 1/2 hp OHV, with only 3 hours on the clock, in the garage while getting ready to hit the big drifts this morning I received an unpleasant surprise. One of the two lower oil fill plugs decided to pop off after having backed itself out of its threaded opening. Before I could pull the 'off' switch, a pint of dirty crankcase oil sprayed over an adjacent lawnmower, air compressor, two white cars, the inside of the garage door, as well as many square feet of garage floor.
I expect someone at the factory had loosened the plug to allow air to escape while giving the engine its initial filling of oil through the stand pipe filler, then forgot to re-tighten the plastic filler plug. I know, I know, I should have checked both plugs instead of just the one that was easy to reach and assuming the other was tight as well........

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-08, 01:10 PM
Good you caught it in time. Oddly, this same thing recently happened to me with a 5 HP OHV Briggs & Stratton on a log splitter. I did not have a mess to clean up but I make sure the oil service plug is tight before I use it.