MTD/Yard Machine electric start problem

Old 12-19-08, 01:48 PM
MTD/Yard Machine electric start problem

The problem is it isn't starting, nothing is happening.

In the Niagara Falls, NY area. I used it at noon today and it was fine, started right up. Now, nothing. I tried the recoil... nothing happening there.

It is an 8 hp 2-stage with driven wheels.

Any advise? I have a 3 foot wall at the end of the driveway where the plow came through.

Thanks in advance!
Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-08, 11:57 AM
Possible button malfunction

If you have the type of electric start that you plug a cord in then press a button just above the cord, the contact inside the button may have broken. I have an MTD 95' blower that this happened to. If you carfully take the button off the machine, two long screws either side of the button, and take the button apart you may see the break in the contact piece. This may be a costly replacement, $80 for mine. The no firing on the recoil may just mean some adjustments to the carb. Best done by someone who knows what they are doing. Very easy to get things further out of adjustment. I leaned the hard way.

Old 12-21-08, 12:32 PM
How many times did you prime it? More than twice, you most likely flooded it. Try a new spark plug.

Old 12-22-08, 09:12 AM
I have never ever started it witht he recoil. Plug looked a little black and I cleaned it with brake cleaner and a wire brush.

Bought the blower at HD a few years back and went back to get a new plug. It appears they switched to Briggs and Straatton engines and there was not a Tecumseh Resistor plug available. Will be calling around to see if I can pick up a new one on the way home today.

Thanks for the info on the starter button. I will take a look at it tonight. What I did find out was that if I manually rotated the gear, (off the machine, sitting on a bench) it would 'start' one time, but the next time it would need to be manually rotated again.

Found a replacement at petessmallengine for $105 shipped.

Will be trying the seafoam mentioned in other threads tonight.

Old 12-22-08, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by 19redwings View Post
I have never ever started it witht he recoil. Plug looked a little black and I cleaned it with brake cleaner and a wire brush.

Bought the blower at HD a few years back and went back to get a new plug. It appears they switched to Briggs and Straatton engines and there was not a Tecumseh Resistor plug available. Will be calling around to see if I can pick up a new one on the way home today.

Thanks for the info on the starter button. I will take a look at it tonight. What I did find out was that if I manually rotated the gear, (off the machine, sitting on a bench) it would 'start' one time, but the next time it would need to be manually rotated again.

Found a replacement at petessmallengine for $105 shipped.

Will be trying the seafoam mentioned in other threads tonight.
If your starter button is toast I have a couple.

Old 12-22-08, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by cpgixxer View Post
If your starter button is toast I have a couple.
Very generous of you! Thank you!

I will take a look at it tonight.

Old 12-22-08, 05:09 PM
No problem, anything for a redwings fan