Trouble with Craftsman Snow Thrower 536.881800

Old 12-19-08, 04:54 PM
Trouble with Craftsman Snow Thrower 536.881800

I'm having problems with my snow thrower. Its a model 536.881800 Craftsman 8.0 HP by Briggs & Stratton. The last few years it will stall sometimes under heavy load and take 10-15 minutes to start back up. I went to start it the other day and it won't fire at all. I think the spark plug may be bad because when I tested I wasn't getting spark everytime. Which spark plug do I use. The manual says it takes a RJ19LM but I pulled a RC12YC out of it this afternoon. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated, we are getting 10 inches of snow tonight. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-08, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by nehi6 View Post
I'm having problems with my snow thrower. Its a model 536.881800 Craftsman 8.0 HP by Briggs & Stratton. The last few years it will stall sometimes under heavy load and take 10-15 minutes to start back up. I went to start it the other day and it won't fire at all. I think the spark plug may be bad because when I tested I wasn't getting spark everytime. Which spark plug do I use. The manual says it takes a RJ19LM but I pulled a RC12YC out of it this afternoon. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated, we are getting 10 inches of snow tonight. Thanks.
Is the snow blower new? Were you the first owner? If not i would make sure the manual is to that exact snow blower and buy what it says in the manual. If your not the first owner someone could of put whatever plug he had on hand or the shop had on hand.

We have a 8 HP Briggs on our snow blower and it was acting up last year. It died under any type of load. I changed the plug and so far it seems to be working fine. Hope that helps

Old 12-20-08, 04:12 AM
I purchased it new and have the original manual. I noticed in the parts diagram on the engine it calls for the rc12yv so now I'm totally confused.

Old 12-20-08, 06:43 AM
I believe your engine to be a model 12E114-0268 which would use a Champion RC12YC spark plug.

Old 12-31-08, 02:38 PM
I'm having the same problem

I am having the same problem with my 536.881851 Craftsman snow thrower. I am trying to change out my spark plug because of the stalling issue. So I get the plug my manual states and it is nothing like the plug that was in it. In fact, it was the same 2 plugs you mention. I don't think the RJ19LM will even fit in there when you put a wrinch on it. I'm going to try a new RC12YC. I hope it solves the stalling problem. I'm also going to try some gas stabalizer. I don't have too many other ideas than that.

Old 09-03-09, 11:25 AM
Craftsman 536.881800

Hi chadP56 and nehi6,

My hubby had bought this snowblower a few years back, in 2005 or 2006 I think. He is no longer with us and my son-in-law was going thru the shed the other day to see what was in there.
We found the snow blower under a tarp but can not find the manual anywhere.

I noticed that both of you said you have the owners manual! Would it be possible to either scan it in and email it to me or xerox it and regular mail it to me?
I would be most greatful and appreciative!

Sincerely,
Cindy

Old 09-03-09, 11:40 AM
The manual from the Sears site is linked below.

http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0502196.pdf

Old 09-03-09, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Hi cutie...(lol..that was fun just typing it)

Welcome to the forum.

You can find most mauals for Craftsman products at Welcome - Managemyhome.com. This is Sears site that you can get to from their main page..but its harder to find that way. You will need the actual model number from the blower (not just the engine). It should be in the same format as the ones mentioned in the posts. XXX.XXXXXX

Just click on the manuals tab and type it in. It will come up as a .PDF document which you can save to your PC or print.

Both of the models mentioned in this thread are available.

EDIT I see Airman is much faster than me