Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Argh! Leaking Tecumseh Carburator

12-20-08, 05:22 PM   #1  
Argh! Leaking Tecumseh Carburator

Ariens snowblower. Teccumseh 2 stroke HSK600-16905 engine. Put gas in the tank, It all drains into the engine.

I have replaced the needle and seat twice. The float floats. Seat is pointed the right way, as is the clip for the needle. Needle will seal when I take off the bowl and set the carb in a pan of water. Float set to .20 inch per what I've seen on the net (anyway when level, it seals).

I thought I had narrowed it down to a plugged inlet fpr the primer bulb. Had the carb in the sink connected to a bottle of water and could see water coming out the main jet as soon as it started to fill. Hardly any liquid in the bowl when this happens. Figured the plugged inlet trapped air inside the bowl so it couldn't fill and the liquid went up the jet. Cleaned the inlet so the carb could vent. It filled and didn't leak on my test stand (my sink) . Thought I had it.

But when put it back on the engine, it idled poorly and after I shut it off, it still leaks as all the fuel in the tank drained into the engine. I'll have to take off the crank case plate to drain it.

Maybe the air hole for the primer bulb is plugged too?

Sponsored Links

TN

12-20-08, 07:28 PM   #2  
A sticking fuel inlet needle or bad seat will allow gas to flow out of the bowl into the engine as you describe. Fuel inlet needles will often drag, stick or not seat in the needle cavity due to dirt or corrosion. On some engines this dragging, sticking or not seating of the fuel inlet needle will allow fuel to flow past the needle through the intake passage and into the crankcase.

Remove the float, needle and seat. Polish the needle cavity and seat. Deposits on the cavity wall or needle can intermittently cause the needle to drag and not fully seat. Use a cotton Q-tip saturated with metal polish and thoroughly clean and polish the needle, needle cavity and seat.

12-20-08, 11:08 PM   #3  
I can't polish the seat because it's rubber and won't like it, but it's worth polishing the sides of the needle cavity. As soon as it warms back up here to 30F again. I'll take it apart one more time.

12-21-08, 10:32 AM   #4  
Thought occurred to me. I mentioned I had set the float by distance, but after the second needle/seat, I set it with the carb in a bowl of water, with the bowl off. Since gasoline floats on water, maybe the float is too low, and all I need to do is reset the float a little higher.

It's 5F in my garage right, so something I'll do when we get a thaw in a day or so.

Search this Thread