Noma snow thrower start / stop switch problem

Old 12-21-08, 12:11 PM
Noma snow thrower start / stop switch problem

Hi,

I have a Noma/Murray snowblower that has a faulty start/stop switch. None of the manuals that came with it include a wiring diagram, and I need help figuring out how to replace it.

It has a Techumseh Snow King engine with electric start (you plug in a electric cord and push a button to start).

The key switch only has one terminal with a single black wire leading from it. Do I correctly assume that the circuit is somehow compeleted internal to the switch through contact/grounding to the body of the snowblower itself?

The headlight on the machine also only has a single wire lead, which again would lead me to believe the complete circuit includes grounding to the metal of the frame.

Can someone explain how this wiring scheme works, and how I would replace the switch? I've searched for the part but have not been able to find it, and all the start/stop switches I've found have 2 or more terminals.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-08, 12:28 PM
You pretty well have it figured out. A single terminal hookup relies on the accessory to be grounded to the frame. Things like lights need the power source to have a good ground as well to complete the circuit.

The kill switch grounds the module to the frame to kill the engine. Safety switches work the same way, although sometimes they are ran in a sequence.

The two terminal switches you have found work the same way, but the second terminal is grounding either in a sequence with other switches or simply to a part of the frame/engine at another location. If you have a flip switch and left it out of the circuit the engine would still run you just wouldn't have a switch to kill it.

If you wanted to use one of those you found, just run the kill wire into the switch and run another wire from the other terminal to the frame or ground it to the engine casing.

Old 12-21-08, 12:29 PM
Key switch grounds to it self in the off position. Ariens & Toro use the same set up. NAPA has those switches in their small engine catalog.
Headlite is grounded thru the lite bulb socket. Many use bulb #1156, the same bulb used for years on cars for parking(running) lites.

Old 12-21-08, 01:22 PM
So if I understand then attaching the lead black wire anywhere to the frame would then complete the circuit and allow me to start the blower? If that's the case, can I clip the black wire to the frame, start the engine, and then remove the clip to stop it?

I ask because we are in the middle of a noreaster' and I need to run the blower enough to clear a path to get out and buy a new switch tomorrow.

Thanks for the updates and help

Old 12-21-08, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by lakeguy View Post
So if I understand then attaching the lead black wire anywhere to the frame would then complete the circuit and allow me to start the blower? If that's the case, can I clip the black wire to the frame, start the engine, and then remove the clip to stop it?

I ask because we are in the middle of a noreaster' and I need to run the blower enough to clear a path to get out and buy a new switch tomorrow.

Thanks for the updates and help
NO!! The engine runs on an OPEN circut. You ground it to stop the engine.

Old 12-21-08, 02:41 PM
Indy, thanks. That's why I asked again. I didn't think I had it right.

So, can I pull start the engine if the wire is disconnected from the switch, and then stop it by then grounding the wire?

Old 12-21-08, 04:37 PM
Yes, you should be able to start the engine. Just make sure the wire does not touch anything metal while it is running.
Oh, you can use the electric start as it has nothing to do with the engine other than turning it over to start it. It has absolutly no bearing on the way the engine runs.

Old 12-22-08, 04:36 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied, and this forum. After a week where we lost heat, water, and power for almost 7 days, followed by almost 3' of snow in 48 hours, it was great to have this site as a resource!

I was able to start my snowblower, clear the driveway (it's almost 1700') and clear it so we could get out. I bought a new switch, hooked it up as described in this thread, and we're all set for the next storm.

Thanks!

Old 12-22-08, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by lakeguy View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied, and this forum. After a week where we lost heat, water, and power for almost 7 days, followed by almost 3' of snow in 48 hours, it was great to have this site as a resource!

I was able to start my snowblower, clear the driveway (it's almost 1700') and clear it so we could get out. I bought a new switch, hooked it up as described in this thread, and we're all set for the next storm.

Thanks!
Another success story brought to by all the knowledgable people at DIY!! This is why we get paid the BIG BUCKS......LOL