Snowblower engine backfires when cold...

Old 12-22-08, 08:02 AM
Snowblower engine backfires when cold...

We have a brand new engine in our snowblower, however it's not a snowking, it's a Tecumseh Formula 8.0HP. When the engine is cold it backfires a bunch of times before warming up. When it's warm it runs like a champ. I'm fine with the backfiring but my wife says it's 'embarrassing'.

I just think it's because it's not a winter engine. Are there any adjustments to be made to alleviate this problem...ie, oil, spark plugs, etc.

My guess is that it's running a little bit lean but there are no adjustments on the carb. When it's backfiring it I give it a little bit more choke the backfiring reduces. It takes about 10 minutes for the engine to warm up then the backfiring stops.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-08, 10:28 AM
Try running it without the air filter on it, maybe a restriction.

Old 12-22-08, 10:44 AM
alot of engines that are made for winter do not have a air filter and are equipped with a heater box which is just a metal box around the muffler and carb to keep snow and stuff out of the carb.is your snowblower a single stage or 2.

Old 12-22-08, 11:34 AM
The Formula engines are the last series from Tecumseh.
They did make some Formula engines for snowblower use made especially for cold weather use. If this engine does have an air filter, it was NOT made for snowblower use.

Old 12-22-08, 11:42 AM
all depends indi. some engines have air filter for summer use and a heater box for winter use. they will say this next to the air filter.

when using engine in summer remove heater box and install air filter

Old 12-22-08, 11:53 AM
This is the ONLY Formula engine Tecumseh makes for snowblowers:

Formula, Enduro®XL OH318EA
•Low emission overhead valve design.
Climate Guard® ensures the engine will keep running in even
the coldest temperatures by preventing carburetor freeze-ups
•Soft-pull recoil starter for easy starts.
•Hot-Spark™ignition system for easy starting,
even at low pulling speeds.
•Polyethylene fuel tank prevents rust and features a large,
easy-fill opening.
•Aluminized muffler resists corrosion so engine
remains quieter, longer.
•Certified EPA Phase 2, CARB Tier III, EU Stage II standards.

Old 12-22-08, 01:27 PM
This engine is meant for an roto-tiller not a snowblower. It's the only engine I could find that would fit this snowblower. The snowblower is an old craftsman that has the tank type tracks to it. It does have an air filter but wouldn't taking off the air filter cause it run leaner?

I do have the heater box from the old engine and I'm sure I could rig it up to fit this one.

flirty1 it's a stage 2 snowblower.

-Dave

Old 12-22-08, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by nicole12 View Post
This engine is meant for an roto-tiller not a snowblower. It's the only engine I could find that would fit this snowblower. The snowblower is an old craftsman that has the tank type tracks to it. It does have an air filter but wouldn't taking off the air filter cause it run leaner?

I do have the heater box from the old engine and I'm sure I could rig it up to fit this one.

flirty1 it's a stage 2 snowblower.

-Dave
Like I said, try it without the air filter, may have some effect since it is a warm weather engine and snowblowers have no filter but heat box is a must from what I know.