Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh "resistor' plug

NY

12-22-08, 09:51 AM   #1  
Tecumseh "resistor' plug

My tecumseh manual says ny 8 HP snowblower requires a "Tecumseh Resistor plug" with 030 gap.

Is there a cross reference for this part? I had bought the SB at Home Depot, but it looks like they are only stocking B&S parts.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

12-22-08, 09:54 AM   #2  
You'll be able to find it pretty much anywhere that has small engine parts, I'm sure. Have you looked at the markings on the current plug?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NY

12-22-08, 09:56 AM   #3  
Thanks! There is a lawnmower repair shop on my way home.

I took it out and cleaned it a bit. Once the manual stated what I was looking for I left it in place.

12-22-08, 09:59 AM   #4  
RJ19LM? or J19LM without the resistor>?

NH

12-22-08, 10:20 AM   #5  
J19LM is what it takes. The resistor plug costs more and resistor plugs are for radio supression. They have nothing to do with the way an engine runs.

12-22-08, 10:32 AM   #6  
Posted By: indypower J19LM is what it takes. The resistor plug costs more and resistor plugs are for radio supression. They have nothing to do with the way an engine runs.
Ya cause the pioneer deck on my Craftsman 10hp may pick up some noise LOL, I never understood why a restistor plug on small engines.

NY

12-22-08, 10:35 AM   #7  
So, it is a J19LM?

I called the place that is on my way home and he said Tecumseh does not make a resistor plug. He said they do carry Champion resistor plugs though.

For the life of me... If I had a brain, I would have just thrown the plug in the car.

I really don't want to be going back and forth? What do these things go for $4-$5 a piece?

Maybe I should pick up one of each for now?

TN

12-22-08, 10:38 AM   #8  
Not knowing anything about your equipment, I suggest if the manual specifies a resister plug, I would use a resister plug.

As the old adage says, “If everything else fails follow the instructions“.

Modern outdoor powered equipment often contains delicate electrical components that can be damaged when not using a resister plug.

MTD has issued service bulletins on various makes of tractors they manufacture not to use non-resistor sparkplugs. Using a non-resistor sparkplug on tractors equipped with Operator-Controlled Reverse (OCR) ignition switch module may cause the module not to activate.

Super Moderator

AZ

12-22-08, 10:45 AM   #9  
I was kind of thinking the same way. It doesn't make much sense that they would pay even the few extra pennies for a resistor plug, unless there was a reason. Of course, if they use the same plug across the product line, they could save those few pennies by bulk buying, even if some machines didn't really need it.

Vic

NH

12-22-08, 11:30 AM   #10  
The only eletrical equipment on a snowblower is the headlite and the lighting coil or alternator. Eletric start is seperate and plugs into the house.
Gunguy, Tecumseh does not make spark plugs. Neither do any of the other engine manufactures. They use Champion spark plugs. Some, such as Briggs & Stratton, have Champion make the plugs for them and have Champion put the B&S logo & number on them.

Super Moderator

AZ

12-22-08, 11:43 AM   #11  
indy
Oh, I knew they don't make the plugs. Thats why I figured they just put the same type in whether required or not. One part number, one item in the supply line, etc. Kinda like buying at COSTCO, bulk is almost always cheaper.

Vic

Search this Thread