Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh HSSK55 Need To know where green wire from key goes

12-22-08, 03:44 PM   #1  
Tecumseh HSSK55 Need To know where green wire from key goes

I have a snow blower with HSSk 55 5 hp on it. I did a tune up on it and while removing the oil drain plug I accidently bumped the green wire that has two leads connected together. The one goes to the ignition key and I am not sure if the the other is a ground to the frame or what. Any help would be appreciated.

LH

Sponsored Links

12-22-08, 04:56 PM   #2  
Green whire goes from the coil to the one side of the key, the other side goes to ground. When the key it removed it completes the ground shutting the coil off and the engine.

Or im wrong

12-22-08, 05:18 PM   #3  
So I can ground it anywhere or is there somewhere specific? Would this wire not being grounded cause the blower to have no spark and not start?

12-22-08, 05:26 PM   #4  
Usually it's screwed into a bracket into the left side of the motor, I suppose you could ground it anywhere but it was attached so it's a matter of finding where it went.

Would this wire not being grounded cause the blower to have no spark and not start?

Depends on the manufacturer but usually no. Snowblowers engines usually have spark without the ground wire being attached, does your machine have a key? My NDN's toro needed to be grounded in order for spark to appear but it has a key and safety switches. I have a 10hp machine in the garage with no ground and it had spark but it is a points machine. Without knowing the model of your machine and engine it's hard to say for sure.

12-22-08, 06:40 PM   #5  
It does have a key that you insert but don't have to turn. This model is a Tecumseh HSSK 55 Snow King on a MAck 520brand snowblower from Menards. I for certain have no spark.

Search this Thread