Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New EPA gas cans

NH

12-22-08, 05:48 PM   #1  
New EPA gas cans

I just replaced a leaking gas can (container as EPA calls it) with the new EPA gas can, which is all you can buy now in N.H. ($5000 fine for retailers for selling the old style). I am very impressed with it. No vent to open. It vents thru the fill nozzle.
The great thing about it is no more overfilling & spilling gas everywhere when filling up your equipment. Just put the nozzle in the gas fill hole, push down and fill. Automaticly shuts off when full.

Sponsored Links

Non-US

12-22-08, 07:21 PM   #2  
I hope It's better than the ones available in canada.. It's only a matter of time till I set the garage on Fire. With the vent in the nozzle @ the top & filling a lawnmower, the fuel will "CHUG,,CHUG,, then when it's almost full & you start to stop pouring, It will flow like crazy..Maybe you're EPA has more smarts than the CSA!!! Roger

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-22-08, 11:53 PM   #3  
I wonder if you found another style that I haven't seen yet. The only ones I've messed with are the ones like hopkinsr2 described. I can't stand them and I spill a lot more with them than I do with the good old style. They also pour the fuel so slow that your arm get tired of holding 5 gallons waiting for it to fill up the mower.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NH

12-23-08, 08:47 AM   #4  
The brand I got is BLITZ. The secret is when it stops chugging lift it straight up to shut off the nozzle. The old cans you would tilt it when you were done to stop it. Don't do that on these.
Cheese, that's why I got the 1 gallon and the 2.5 gallon. My push mower is 1/2 gal. , my snowblower is 1 gal., my tractor is 3 gal. I do still have an old style 5 gal. which is what I fill at the gas station, then using a funnel, I fill my small cans outside. May sound like a pain, but in the long run it works for me.

PA

12-23-08, 10:56 AM   #5  
I bought four 5 gallon good quality metal gas cans for my lawn business in 1979 for less than $10 each. They have worked VERY well for me for almost 30 years. I saw the new style plastic EPA certified cans recently in a store and was SHOCKED at the price! I realize prices have gone up in 30 years, but no way can I justify replacing my good metal cans with these new ones.

NH

12-23-08, 01:19 PM   #6  
Posted By: bontai Joe I bought four 5 gallon good quality metal gas cans for my lawn business in 1979 for less than $10 each. They have worked VERY well for me for almost 30 years. I saw the new style plastic EPA certified cans recently in a store and was SHOCKED at the price! I realize prices have gone up in 30 years, but no way can I justify replacing my good metal cans with these new ones.
The higher price is due to the EPA regulations. And yes, when they first came out, they were about $12 for a 1gallon. Prices have dropped to about half now. That 2.5 gal can I bought for $1.99 at a going out of business sale. It was marked down from $5.99.

12-24-08, 05:19 AM   #7  
How did you put the picture in your post. I have been tring but can not get in my posts. Sorry to bring this off topic.

Search this Thread