Murray Rider Electrical Problem

Old 12-22-08, 07:37 PM
Murray Rider Electrical Problem

I have a Mod # 42536X92A. I have no voltage getting through the ignition switch for the lights. The fuse is OK. I also don't seem to have charging voltage. The engine runs fine off the battery.

Where can I find a wiring diagram? I don't want to tear this thing apart to chase the wires.

Last edited by tater1800; 12-22-08 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Omission of key words.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-08, 11:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What engine is on it? Sounds like the alternator is not producing.

Old 12-23-08, 05:14 AM
Good morning Cheese.

Model: 42A707

Type: 1653 01

Code: 9701305B

I was installing a headlamp. The lamp never lighted through the original light wires. I have voltage through the fuse and to the switch. It is difficult to chase the wires without a diagram. For all I know I am checking the wrong wires. I discovered the charging problem in the process. The lamp pulls 5 amps. Surely the alternater can supply 5 additional amps.

I feel like the problems are related. The only fuse I have found is behind a panel located under the steering wheel. Where else would a fuse be?

Old 12-23-08, 06:07 AM
Many of these type mowers have a dual alternator set up. This setup supplies unregulated DC current for charging the battery (aprox 2 amps), and unregulated AC current for operating the lights. This type of setup will only run the lights when the engine is running.

You can find a wiring diagram for your unit by using your model number to look at an illustrated parts list. You will find a parts look up tool at jacks small engine, or parts tree websites.

Old 12-24-08, 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
Many of these type mowers have a dual alternator set up. This setup supplies unregulated DC current for charging the battery (aprox 2 amps), and unregulated AC current for operating the lights. This type of setup will only run the lights when the engine is running.

You can find a wiring diagram for your unit by using your model number to look at an illustrated parts list. You will find a parts look up tool at jacks small engine, or parts tree websites.
Thanks. Parts Tree doesn't have a listing for Murray. A search for Jacks has many hits. Do you have a link for Jacks?

Old 12-24-08, 06:26 AM
Old 12-24-08, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by tater1800 View Post
Thanks. Parts Tree doesn't have a listing for Murray. A search for Jacks has many hits. Do you have a link for Jacks?
Here you go...

http://www.jackssmallengines.net/parts.asp

Old 12-24-08, 07:41 AM
Select Murray, enter model no. here for direct access.
Craftsman Lawn Mower Parts | Ryobi Parts
This is ordertree.com
thanks,

Old 12-24-08, 11:18 AM
Thanks Guys. After seeing the diagram, all my assumptions are out the window. I need to check the switch and see what contacts make and in what positon. Before that I may check the stator. A bad stator is the worst case and I will run off the battery before I spend much money on this old mower.

Does anyone know the limitations of this type of system? I removed the original lights and added 55W. This doesn't seem like much but then I am no expert. If I haved smoked the stator then so be it. Again my assumptions may be all wrong as I was looking for DC on an AC circuit.

Old 12-24-08, 02:39 PM
Here's link to a page on the Briggs site that shows some electrical testing:
What is the procedure for testing the engine's electrical system?...
Might help,
Thanks,

Old 12-24-08, 03:19 PM
Thanks Glen. That one is bookmarked.

Search this Thread