Ariens snowblower breathing fire

Old 12-23-08, 12:49 AM
Ariens snowblower breathing fire

Hi all,
I have been struggling with this older 8 HP Ariens snowblower for about a week now. We've had a ton of snow here and it seems every time I go to use the thing something else goes wrong.

It was sitting in a warehouse unused for several years. I changed the spark plug and put new gas in it. ..got it to start. It ran way too hot and actually would spit fire out of the exhaust. then it would kick back down itself and run fine before repeating.

to fix this i replaced the carberator. now it still runs way too hot and fast except when i'm in deep snow. ..then it's fine. it's to the point where blue flames are shooting from the exhaust an the metal there is actually red hot.

i tried adjusting the screw on the carberator, but it doesn't seem to help. Either it's sputtering, or it's racing.

Besides these problems I also had the fuel line break twice and both tires go flat, so as you can imagine, i'm pretty frustrated by now.

We have more snow coming, so any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-08, 04:31 AM
Backfiring can be caused by a timing issue. Have you inspected the flywheel and or keyway?

Old 12-23-08, 10:49 AM
Well, I don't know what to look for.
I took the flywheel out when I had to replace the fuel line, but I had the spitting fire problem before and after removing it, so i don't suspect i caused the problem. (for once).

Old 12-23-08, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by frogger6 View Post
I took the flywheel out when I had to replace the fuel line, but I had the spitting fire problem before and after removing it, so i don't suspect i caused the problem. (for once).
I don't believe it was the flywheel you removed to replace the fuel line as there is no need to remove the flywheel. It was the fan housing which houses the recoil starter.

Old 12-24-08, 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by frogger6 View Post
You took the flywheel off to replace the fuel line? Are you sure? The flywheel doesn't need to be removed to replace the fuel line, the fuel line passes in behind the flywheel and isn't in the way. If you did indeed remove the flywheel, how did they keyway look?

Search this Thread