Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

auger gear worn out

12-24-08, 10:06 AM   #1  
auger gear worn out

I've got a craftsman 9HP snowthrower, Model 536 886260 and the auger stopped working. I separated the auger gear box housing and found that the worm gear teeth are broken and the auger input shaft is most likely shot as well. My questions is how to take the auger gear box out and replace the gears. Do I have to remove the housing, impeller, to get the shaft out or do the pins and keys shown on the drawing separate the shaft from the impeller and auger output shaft?

Sponsored Links

NH

12-24-08, 10:41 AM   #2  
you have to remove the auger/impeller assembly from the scoop. Make sure you mark the augers as to which side they go on. It is much easier to remove the augers when repairing the fear box.

01-01-09, 05:56 PM   #3  
Same as you...

It seems as if I'm in the same stage as you are, any luck with removing the the impeller, blades or otherwise? If it entails removing the spring pins fron the impeller shaft, how can you even get at those. I'm bound and determined now.

01-01-09, 06:00 PM   #4  
They don't need to be removed unless you are replacing the worm gear on the impeller, it comes as one piece. The impeller and rod need to go into a vise, drive out the roll pins with a punch. Replace the assembly by reinserting into the impeller and drive a new set of roll pins to the assembly.

The impeller comes out from the back of the auger, there is a bolt that screws into the back of the impeller that goes through either 1 or 2 pulleys depending on the machine. Trying to do this without seperating the auger from the body is impossible, this is not a 10 minute fix.

Posted By: andrelemire It seems as if I'm in the same stage as you are, any luck with removing the the impeller, blades or otherwise? If it entails removing the spring pins fron the impeller shaft, how can you even get at those. I'm bound and determined now.

Search this Thread