Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman snow blower auger rubber xref

12-24-08, 01:02 PM   #1  
Craftsman snow blower auger rubber xref

Hi,

I have a Sears Craftsman 5 hp 22" snow blower, model 536.881500. The Auger rubber is worn and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, they do not sell the rubber alone. I have to buy the entire auger. For the cost of the auger, it would be more cost effective to buy a new blower. I do not want to do that.

Does anyone know of a cross reference on augers? If I can find another machine that uses the same auger, I will buy that rubber kit. I will have to drill out the rivets, but that is not a problem. I don't want to resort to cutting up an old tire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance......jster

Sponsored Links

12-31-08, 03:15 PM   #2  
Craftsman Snow thrower auger part #1501981

I bought a new auger this year and, frustrated with the cost (they say $125 but it comes to $142), I did just what you suggested...I drilled out the rubber and made new pieces out of new left over industrial conveyor belt rubber. I thought that I would keep this rebuilt one as a spare....but 2 nights ago I threw a rod.
You can do this work yourself, but it will go much easier if you use a band saw (the reinforced rubber is tough to cut with a utility knife). Also, use a 1/4" dowel cutter instead of a drill bit and you will get clean holes for the replacement bolts....
or just buy my slightly used auger and/or my rebuilt auger.

01-01-09, 12:14 PM   #3  
Thanks for the info Jackx,

I would have loved to buy your auger 3 days ago, but I do not want to take my auger off again. I can replace the rubber right now without taking off the auger. I took it off to replace the auger housing that was broken.

I was able to drill out the rivets as well. I have not finished yet, but I plan to use the same rubber and just move it up. I plan to drill new holes in it slightly aft to give about a 1/4"- 3/8 inch shift. Great idea to use the dowel cutter. This should give it the correct amount of rubber sticking out.

If this does not work, where can I get industrial conveyor belt rubber? I'm glad someone else has similar ideas.

Thanks again......jster

01-29-09, 08:16 PM   #4  
need snow blower parts

Posted By: jackx I bought a new auger this year and, frustrated with the cost (they say $125 but it comes to $142), I did just what you suggested...I drilled out the rubber and made new pieces out of new left over industrial conveyor belt rubber. I thought that I would keep this rebuilt one as a spare....but 2 nights ago I threw a rod.
You can do this work yourself, but it will go much easier if you use a band saw (the reinforced rubber is tough to cut with a utility knife). Also, use a 1/4" dowel cutter instead of a drill bit and you will get clean holes for the replacement bolts....
or just buy my slightly used auger and/or my rebuilt auger.
Im looking for an auger for the same machine you have Craftsman 22" 5hp, Actually I need two augers for that machine and an auger housing. Are you thinking about selling your parts? How much are you looking for and where are you located?

01-29-09, 08:22 PM   #5  
Im looking for (2) 22" craftsman augers and an auger housing for the same unit I think you said you have with a blown engine. Are you looking at selling your parts? If so how much and where are you located?

01-30-09, 04:49 AM   #6  
Hey Jmal1969,

I'm sorry, I was able to fix my blower. I ordered the auger housing from Sears parts direct. A local repair shop had a Craftsman 20" scrap blower. He let me have the rubber off the auger for free. The flat rubber was too small. However the curved rubber is exact. I drilled out the rivets and replaced them with stainless nuts, botls, and lockwashers.

Once again I'm sorry, but right now it is not for sale. Take care....jster

01-30-09, 08:02 PM   #7  
I to have the same problem with a sears 5hp 22" snow thrower, rubber is worn and housing is cracked
I was on this site called jackssmallengines and it said that they have replacement rubbers for sears 5hp snow throwers I was wondering if anyone ever ordered these replacement blades from here and if they fit

Anyone think that you could fiberglass the housing and that it would hold?

01-31-09, 06:19 AM   #8  
I'm not sure if the fiberglass would work. However, not a bad idea to try. My scraperbar broke completely off taking 1" of the auger housing with it. I needed it fixed quickly (i travel and my wife needs it) so I could not experiment very much.

As for your rubber, Sears only sells the auger and not the rubber. HOW DUMB IS THAT!!!
It is more cost effective to buy a new blower, then to have the housing and auger replaced. I hate our throwaway society.

That rubber on jackssmallengines looks like it will work, EXCEPT the 2 flat parts. I had to drill holes in my old flat rubber, and move it outward. The rubber I used was from a 20" Craftsman, but the flat rubber was not long enough. The round part was exact.

Good luck and let me know how things work out for you.....jster

01-31-09, 07:57 PM   #9  
right now mine is split down the side and I got it held together with duct tape as its been snowing almost every day around here.
I really don't want to spent 80 bucks for a new housing and then 140 for an auger then have to tear it apart to put it together
I was thinking about drilling some holes into the housing before I applied the glass and that way it would sort of seal itself to each side that is if it last till it gets warmer so i can work on it

02-01-09, 05:20 AM   #10  
sears 21" large paddles are the same as 22". the 2 smaller center paddles are 1" smaller in length, but will fit. You need 4 large paddles and 2 small. sears has no kit.large paddles cost 20.00 each. small at 3.00 each. sears 21 model # 536.885214/ use 1/4 inch rivets to attach new paddles.

02-08-09, 06:33 PM   #11  
Thinking about replaceing the paddles by cutting my own
would anyone have the measurements that I need to do this
Sears 22" 5hp junk snowblower

02-21-09, 03:28 PM   #12  
Replacement kit available

You don't have to buy a new auger. Besides, I don't think it comes with the rubber blades anyway. I just bought a new set, cost me a total of $30.75, which included shipping. Just do a search for "302565" and you will find quite a few suppliers. I have the model 536-88150 snowthrower, they fit perfectly. The straight ones are a little shorter than the originals, no big deal.

02-23-09, 06:08 PM   #13  
Posted By: SteveSzu You don't have to buy a new auger. Besides, I don't think it comes with the rubber blades anyway. I just bought a new set, cost me a total of $30.75, which included shipping. Just do a search for "302565" and you will find quite a few suppliers. I have the model 536-88150 snowthrower, they fit perfectly. The straight ones are a little shorter than the originals, no big deal.
the sears blower has a 22" auger on it is the one you mention the same size?

01-12-10, 01:09 PM   #14  
Craftsman 22" auger rubber replacement

Hey guys, if you go to Milford Power Equipment and order part number R5533 and it cost $28.95 with shipping of $9.68 i got mine today (ordered Sat.) for $38.63. I have since found them cheaper, but more shipping and longer delivery.

Search this Thread