Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help with B&S powered Powermate 2500 genset.

12-25-08, 05:29 PM   #1  
Help with B&S powered Powermate 2500 genset.

My parents have a little Colman powermate 2500 genset. It has a Vertical shaft "Quantum" engine on it. 190CC, Model 128802. It has the manual choke carb.

The problem im having is that it runs but seems to miss and that causes the engine to hunt all over the place. It will not run at a steady RPM at all. When it misses it also pops a little air out the carb. I can manually hold the governor with my finger and smooth out the RPM's but you can still hear it missing.

I took the carb off and found 2 jets. One was in the bolt that holds the bowl on and the other is in the area that the bolt screwed on. I spayed them clean with carb cleaner.

It starts on the 1st or 2nd pull when choked.

The engine has maybe 5 hours on it. Its been sitting for 4 years.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

12-25-08, 07:31 PM   #2  
you can take float bowl off again, fill it with sea foam and let it run sounds like the carb just needs to clean out. this happened to my lawn mower and worked great.

12-26-08, 10:00 AM   #3  
Well i drained the fuel tank down some and let the engine run on almost pure sea foam for a wile. No real change. I also put a new plug in. It is still hunting and missing every few seconds.

One thing i noticed is that its pushing air OUT of the carb. I noted this by holding a small piece of paper the carb. It sucks it in then on the next stroke pushes it back away.

Maybe there is something wrong in the longblock?

Search this Thread