Fuel Filter?

Old 12-26-08, 03:43 PM
Fuel Filter?

Do you guys recommend installing an in-line fuel filter for machines that don't have one?

My snow thrower and generator do not have filters, and I'm wondering if I should install one in each?

My old snow thrower, and my dad's new one, both with Tecumseh motors, had issues with the carbs getting some fine grit caught in the main jet....would cause surging problems until cleaned out.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-08, 04:51 PM
I install filters on my personal equipment and recommend it to my customers. Ensure you install the correct filter for the engine in use. Gravity fed engines use different filters than engines with fuel pumps. Engine manufacturers typically specify the filter and micron rating for specific engines.

Old 12-26-08, 05:21 PM
Thanks Airman.

Both engines are gravity fed. One is a 9.5 hp Techumseh and the other is a 10hp Robin/Subaru. Where can I find info on selecting the proper filters?

Thanks

Old 12-26-08, 06:10 PM
In addition to micron size, fuel filters are selected by inside diameter (ID) of the fuel line they will be installed. Many 4-cycle engines use -inch ID fuel lines but you will need to verify what is used on your equipment.

The following are Briggs and Stratton filters and any should work based on your preference:

Std Fuel filter (75-micron) Fuel filter with metal screen element. Keeps small contaminants from clogging carburetor jets and passages.

Plus Fuel Filter (75 micron) Fuel filter with paper element. 50% more capacity that keeps small contaminants from clogging carburetor jets and passages.

Silver Fuel Filter (40 micron) Fuel filter with paper element.

Platinum Fuel Filter (30 micron) Fuel filter with paper element. Provides twice the filtering capacity of standard filters for extended maintenance.