Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh Snow King

12-27-08, 05:20 PM   #1  
Tecumseh Snow King

I have a Snow King snow blower with a Tecumseh motor on it. Engine Model HSK485, Spec #8204D. The snow blower works for about 5-10 minutes and stalls out. After it stalls out, I have to wait about 4 hours or so before it'll start again. Runs for 5-10 minutes, stalls out. I checked the carburator and cleaned it out a little (It really wasn't that dirty). The spark plug didn't look fouled up either. Could this be a problem with the ignitor, maybe overheating? It has a solid state ignition mondule on it. I don't know how to how to test it and would like to know more before I bought a replacement. Any ideas would be very greatful.

Regards,
RFWWorker

Sponsored Links

NH

12-27-08, 06:39 PM   #2  
Coil usually takes longer to heat up enough to stop working.
My guess is a clogged gas cap vent. Try running it with the gas cap 1/4 turn loose. If that works, then clean the cap the Brake Kleaner and blow it out with compressed air. Or buy a new cap.
Usually less than $10.

12-28-08, 06:38 AM   #3  
Thanks! I'll give that a try and let you know.

01-02-09, 11:23 AM   #4  
Well that seemed to be the problem. I haven't had a problem with it since I cleaned the cap out. What would you say was happening by having the blocked cap, flooding the engine by not having proper air flow?

Thanks for your help!!

Regards,

RFWWorker

NH

01-02-09, 01:37 PM   #5  
Posted By: RFWWorker Well that seemed to be the problem. I haven't had a problem with it since I cleaned the cap out. What would you say was happening by having the blocked cap, flooding the engine by not having proper air flow?

Thanks for your help!!

Regards,

RFWWorker
The tank needs to vent to allow gas to flow. Easy explation:
The old straw trick. Put a straw into a glass of water, hold your finger on the end, remove the straw, now remove your finger. Straw empties.
That is the same law of physics that the gas tank needs to operate.

01-11-09, 03:20 PM   #6  
It's been working fine since I cleaned the cap.

Thanks again!

MA

01-20-09, 09:20 AM   #7  
I had the same issues with my Tecumseh powered Toro snowthrower. The engine stalled because the cap was not venting. Then the cap vent mechanism fell apart but I was able to but it back together. I havent had the stalling out issue since 07 but I dont tighten the gas cap on very tight any more.

Here is my old post about the cap/venting issue.:

http://forum.doityourself.com/outdoo...nowblower.html

And just to follow up on that post (sorry its taken 14 months) - I took the gas cap that 'fell apart' to the Toro dealer where I bought my snowblower. The snowblower was still under warranty. I showed him the cap in pieces. Guy was a real a** - he said that 'the engine isnt part of the snowblower - so its not covered under the warranty' (this is same exact guy that sold me the snowthrower for $1700). Can you believe that? Guy looked me right in the eye and said that. Say what? I asked him if he purchased a new truck from GM and they told him the engine wasnt 'part of' the truck, what would he say? He blew me off. Thing was when I purchased the snowthrower in the fall of 2005 he pushed the fact that Toro was having a special offer with a 3 year (vs normal 2 year) extended warranty. I ended up buying a new gas cap from him for like $7 because I needed to be sure my snowthrower would run, but Ill never go back there again - for anything. I called Toro at the time and they said that he (the dealer) was wrong, that the warranty covers everything on the snowblower.

Stay away from Harvard Power Eq in Harvard MA unless you want to get doubletalk when you need warranty service. Go to Shepherd in Townsend.

Paul

01-31-09, 08:41 PM   #8  
tecumseh warm up and die

I think I may have found this gas cap info to late. I have the same problem with w tecumseh snow king 8 hp cast iron cylinder. Runs for 10 min. or so then dies will not restart. I went out to start it this morning and it wouldn't start at all. Not even with starting fluid. I am trying to fix this for a friend and now feel as though i have somehow killed his snowblower. I have spark still and gas but,she no go.
Does anyone have any ideas as to why it will no longer start at all when it ran great for ten minutes yesterday?
Thanx,
Mike

Last edited by tinkertoys; 01-31-09 at 09:00 PM.

Search this Thread