not smooth running

Old 12-27-08, 07:13 PM
not smooth running

I have a 15hp Briggs & Stratton on a Troy Built 8000 watt generator. It is a fixed throttle about 3200rpm and hunts engine rpms go up and down 100 or 200 rpms on no load and under load is this normal with this unit?

Thanks Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-08, 05:30 AM
sounds like the carb needs a little work and i'm not sure 3200 is the correct speed. have you checked it for voltage output and frequency ?

Old 12-28-08, 06:23 AM
not smooth running

Originally Posted by flopshot View Post
sounds like the carb needs a little work and i'm not sure 3200 is the correct speed. have you checked it for voltage output and frequency ?
It is new; Lowe's, says it is normal to surge as it is set to run at a constant speed.

I made some carb adjustments with no change, it continues to hunt or surge.

Looking for confirmation or not, on what they say is normal.

Will check voltage today do not have a meter to check frequency.

Lowe's will take it back, they want to replace it with a Generac and I am not sure of Quality of Generac product.

Thanks

Mike

Old 12-28-08, 07:38 AM
Tro-Bilt is manufactured by MTD. I prefer Generac to Troy-Bilt. One factor in favor of Generac is they are more concentrated in the generator area than MTD.

Surging is not normal. At 3200 RPM, the generator is not producing correct voltage and with surging, it would not be stable.

If it were mine, I would not waste my time I would exchange it for the Generac.

The generator should be set to run at 3750 RPM with no load and should run at 3600 RPM loaded.

At 3600 RPM, the generator produces 60 hertz. Every 60 rpm above or below that is equal to 1 hertz.

If you do not have a frequency meter but have a known accurate analog electric clock, plug it into the 120 V generator outlet. If it remains accurate, (runs the same speed as household current), you have 60 hertz.

Old 12-28-08, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by medmo View Post

It is new; Lowe's, says it is normal to surge as it is set to run at a constant speed.
The people at Lowes know nothing. Just read what they told you. (bold above) If that is not an Oxy-Moron. Constant speed is NOT surging.
Just to show you what idiots they are, I was looking for an indoor/outdoor thermometer for a Christmas present. I asked where they were in the store. I was told that they were "out of season". Since when are thermometers out of season? Does that mean there is NO tempature in the winter?
Sorry, got off topic.

Generac is a good generator. They were bought by Briggs & Stratton in 2001.
I would have no problem with the quality of a Generac.

Old 12-28-08, 06:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Go for the Generac. The folks who told you it is normal are WRONG. That's the kind of service you expect from box stores.

Old 12-29-08, 03:44 AM
not crazy about Generac but i'd take it over the troll-built any day.

Search this Thread