Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ariens snow thrower questions

12-29-08, 09:15 AM   #1  
ariens snow thrower questions

i,m thinking of getting rid of my 1995 toro 724 and 2004 craftsman throwers and getting a used ariens machine or a brand made by ariens
the toro is a nice machine but i don't like the drum type augers on it and the craftsman is
so cheaply made that i don't think i,m going to be happy with it
i see tons and i mean tons of the older 70's and 80's ariens on craigslist for sale but i want a (modern) ariens if you know what i mean
when did the new style machines came out?
any models i should stay away from besides the ones sold at big box stores?
my budget is around $400
thank you

Sponsored Links

NH

12-29-08, 11:19 AM   #2  
1982 was when the feds mandated a way to have all rotating items (augers, impellers. mower blades) stop when the handle(s) were released to reduce injuries by dummies who insisted on clearing out clogged snowblower chutes with their hands while the engine was still running.
Every one did it different. It was about 1985 when they somewhat standized to what we generally have today.
I am not sure what year Ariens went from cast iron to aluminum gear case. They also went to using thinner sheet metal for the scoop. This was less expensive, much lighter. Most also say those 2 things cheapened them.
Stay away from Murray & Noma as parts for them are becoming scarce. Noma especially. Noma was the Candian Murray.

12-29-08, 01:05 PM   #3  
some guy has a jukebox junk yard website
where old jukeboxes gets parted out for parts,
i,m a jukebox collector and have nine of them
maybe someone should start a snow thrower junk yard since parts for these old machines are getting scarce and maybe riders too

NH

12-29-08, 06:43 PM   #4  
Well, there are lawnmower junkyards. Here's 1. I am sure there are more out there as well as snowblower junkyards.

Lawnmower Boneyard

Search this Thread