Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Generator Storage Question

NY

12-30-08, 06:41 AM   #1  
Generator Storage Question

High winds have whipped through WNY the last week or so and several power outages have occured (*knock on wood* not us yet)

I have a generator that did not come with a wheel kit. Heavy beast! I have it 'strapped' to a dolly. However, if we lost power with some snow on the ground it would be relatively impossible to get it from the shed to where I would tie in to the house.

Is there a means to store it outdoors? Obvious concerns are rain and condensation.

Thanks for the help!
Bill

Sponsored Links

12-30-08, 09:21 AM   #2  
I live in louisiana and we have generators for hurricane season. I would recommend storing the unit indoors. If that is not possible, I would get a covered unit with some type of flooring. <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.playstationreview.com/playstation-reviews/pages/1825/what-is-the-best-psp-action-or-shooting-game-that-has-teamplay.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.playstationreview.com/playstation-reviews/pages/1825/what-is-the-best-psp-action-or-shooting-game-that-has-teamplay.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

12-30-08, 09:35 AM   #3  
Yeah I agree...... I'd buy or build some type of shelter to store it in, and with some type of floor. When you run it make sure one side is open for ventilation. Later!

AL

12-30-08, 11:12 AM   #4  
If I had a shed that wasn't too far from the house, the generator would stay there. I would run a permanent cable or have one that could be easily connected. If we are talking 50feet or less, "SO" cable makes a fine temporary way to make 240V connections. It is a little pricey however. If all I needed was 120V then a heavy extention cord would do it.

I have seperate circuits for my generator. A 4 pin twistlock connector feeds a short "SO" cable to a 2 circuit breaker box. The breaker box then feeds seperate 20A circuits that have duplex outlets adjacent to the main outlets. The outlets are located near refrigerators and the TV. This arrangment doesn't require a transfer switch and is easy for anyone to operate.

NY

12-30-08, 12:23 PM   #5  
Indoors really isn't an option as I would have to lug it up from the basement. Not gonna happen.

So, if I enclose it and keep it off the ground it should be ok?

I am set on power outages to open the main and back feed through my dryer receptacle. Dryer pigtail to 24' of #10/4 to a twist connector for the generator.

Thanks!

Super Moderator

AZ

12-30-08, 12:56 PM   #6  
Ouch, well you were good until you started talking about how you were going to feed the panel. Highly frowned on on the board.

Yes, yes, I know, if done absolutely correctly, it shouldn't be a problem, but illegal in most areas that I know of.

Emergencies are one thing, but for maybe $100 more you could probably do it much more safely using an interlock, wire and inlet, and might even meet code in your area.

Not an electrical pro, so don't start raggin on me, just telling you how the board is. Pretty much a "Do it right, or don't do it at all" thing here.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NY

12-30-08, 03:24 PM   #7  
Understand the concern of someone posting questions here.

Electrically, I am qualified to troubleshoot/work on 600 Volts and below. I routinely work on 480 V which is very possibly the most dangerous voltage to work on due to ground fault issues.

As far as making sure a 22O V generator is maintained properly, I ask for assistance to ensure it will work properly when needed.

If you think I should edit, please let me know.

Super Moderator

AZ

12-30-08, 03:34 PM   #8  
Nope, no edit needed..(prob too late anyway) you may get yelled at for not doing it "right", but as long as you don't try to tell other people to do it that way, I think you'll be ok.

Just letting you know more than anything else, I've seen it get ugly when people say "Nothing wrong with this method", thats all.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

AL

12-30-08, 04:55 PM   #9  
Bill,
Please consider another method of wiring. I moved from an adjacent county because of permits, inspection and codes. It had become all about having a 50 hanging out of your shirt pocket. Needless to say I don't like inspectors.

The main reason, IMHO, for wiring a generator correctly is to protect the utility workers. If you forget to isolate your house there will be 7000 volts on the other side of your transformer. This could kill a utility worker. Around here they will pull a meter when someone is running a generator. Guess who gets power restored last. I haven't researched my method to see if it meets code but it is safe and fully isolated

OK

12-30-08, 08:46 PM   #10  
do not run in a basement, in fact make sure that it is not run close to any doors or windows, we had a death from a generator running outside of a door last year during the ice storm from co drawn in through the back door of the house.
next for storing outside, build a raised platform using concrete blocks or similar to make it accessible, then some type of weather shield to block snow, ice, rain, if it has a gravity feed fuel system, shut the fuel off when not in use to avoid filling the crankcase with fuel. store with a fuel stabilizer added to a full tank of fuel, never store with a partial tank of fuel to minimize condensation of moisture. never run less than 30 minutes to make sure that moisture is boiled out of the oil that can accumulate from condensation.

are you going to cowboy up or just lay there and bleed?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-31-08, 01:26 AM   #11  
Good advice above. I'd think about putting it in a small enclosure made just for it and maintain it as mentioned above. Google generator enclosures and get some good reference info about clearances, air space, exhausting, etc... It should be a simple and inexpensive shelter that keeps the generator close enough to be convenient and far enough away to be safe and quiet.

I also recommend getting a gas cap with a vent thumbscrew that you can close, and when you shut off the generator, close the vent to keep the gas tank airtight. Keep it airtight, and full, and then there will be no condensation in it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-31-08, 03:45 AM   #12  
Posted By: 19redwings Is there a means to store it outdoors? Obvious concerns are rain and condensation.

build a "dog house" for it. you could either hinge the sides or make it a lift off. if it looks like a dog house thieves won't be looking there for your generator.

NY

12-31-08, 05:46 AM   #13  
Thanks all for the advise!!

Backyard is fully fenced (pool). I can put it next to my pool heater which is 'cleared' for ventilation purposes. Next project is planned.

Tater, I fully understand how transformers work, so i understand your statement. Again, I work with 480, control power transformers, meggers, etc. When doing electrical work I always think in 'both' directions. they don't show us those videos every year because they want to take our appetite away.

Search this Thread