Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs 20 hp twin cyl. won't start

IN

12-30-08, 02:47 PM   #1  
Briggs 20 hp twin cyl. won't start

Hi all,

Bought a Craftsman mower last night with a Briggs and Stratton 20hp twin cyl. engine. Do not have any history on it. When I picked it up, the guy sprayed starting fluid in the carb and in started up. Got it home started checking things out.
Has good spark, no gas in the oil, ran a new fuel line with filter from gas tank, plugs look ok. When I pour a little gas in the carb., it will start and run briefly. I also tried putting some in the cylinders and it started and ran for a few seconds. When I try and start it and close the choke, a little gas can be seen spitting up from carb. I think the fuel pump is working for gas to be in carb. I am thinking this is strictly a carb. problem as to why it's not starting. I have worked on a few gravity fed carbs. on Briggs engines and solved misc. problems with help from you guys. Are these carbs. any different to work on? Any other ideas on my problem?
The model number is 461707, type 0145-E3 and
code 0009125A.

Thanks in advance,
Cory

Sponsored Links

TN

12-30-08, 03:39 PM   #2  
Your problem is possibly a faulty fuel pump or clogged fuel passages. Look at a parts breakdown at the link below or one of your choice. You will notice a fuel pump mounted on the front of the carburetor. Your fuel pump is a four-screw fuel pump, if I am not mistaken. Since the pump supplies fuel through an orifice on the carburetor the only way to see if it is pumping is to remove the carburetor upper body along with all attached. If you are lucky, you will not damage the gasket. With the carburetor upper body removed, mower outside, and fire extinguisher handy, jog the starter and observe the carburetor to see if fuel is being pumped in the carburetor bowl. If it is not pumping you, may as well get a carburetor kit, which includes fuel pump parts, clean, and rebuild the carburetor. If it is pumping clean all fuel passages within carburetor, assemble carburetor and test.

Parts lookup:
http://www.milacalawn.com/parts.asp

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-31-08, 01:30 AM   #3  
I agree with Airman. I'd start out by going into the carb bowl, clean out the jets, and remove the main jet. It is in the hole behind the drain plug. Remove it, clean it, and clean the area where it threads into the carb as this is often where crud accumulates. Reassemble and you'll probably be set to go.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IN

01-01-09, 12:09 PM   #4  
Cheese and Airman,
Thanks again guys. Took the carb. apart and did a good cleaning. It had gotten some water in it plus a little debris. Took the jets out also. Fuel pump worked good when I checked it. Put it all back together and it roared to life.

Glad to know I have a place to go when I need good advice.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-02-09, 12:06 AM   #5  
Glad you got it and thanks for the update!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread