Snowblower Leaks Gas - BUT still runs

Old 12-30-08, 07:13 PM
Snowblower Leaks Gas - BUT still runs

I have a Craftsman snow blower. I'm trying to use it for the first time this season. I filled it was gas and it began to leak - mainly through the carburetor. I took it apart and cleaned it. Then I added some gas and started it up. It ran perfectly fine! The only issue now is the gas leaks through a small hole in the carburetor, the carburetor over flows on top AND gas squirts directly out of the primer! Any ideas on what the issue is? How do I fix it? Please let me know your thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-08, 07:46 PM
A sticking fuel inlet needle will allow gas to flow out of the bowl into the engine as you describe. Fuel inlet needles will often drag, stick or not seat in the needle cavity due to dirt or corrosion.

Be sure to check the engine oil to see if gas has gotten in the crankcase. If gas has entered the crankcase and contaminated the oil, change the oil after you repair the carburetor.

Remove the carburetor bowl, float, inlet needle, inlet needle clip and seat, if equipped. Pay attention to the position of the inlet needle clip, if so equipped, it will need to go back in the same position.

With the plastic inlet seat removed, if installed, polish the needle cavity. I make a polishing tool using a wooden meat skewer with one end wrapped with cotton and dipped in metal polish. The wrapped tip should fit tightly in the needle cavity. Insert cotton wrapped end of skewer in the needle cavity. Twist skewer back and forth to polish needle cavity.

Install seat, if removed, and inlet needle, inlet needle clip and float. Place a few drops of solvent or fuel on the inlet needle. Move the float with your finger and observe that it moves freely. Assembly carburetor, connect fuel and see if it leaks.

You did not give model numbers, etc. This link may or may not be for your engine. This manual covers carburetors.
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Always list model numbers, etc. for the equipment and engine. It makes responding to your problem more accurate.

Old 12-31-08, 04:49 PM
Check the float to see if it has a pinhole and filled up with gas. Remove the float, hold it to your ear and shake it. If you hear sloshing, the float needs to be replaced.

Old 12-31-08, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Airman View Post
A sticking fuel inlet needle will allow gas to flow out of the bowl into the engine as you describe. Fuel inlet needles will often drag, stick or not seat in the needle cavity due to dirt or corrosion.

Be sure to check the engine oil to see if gas has gotten in the crankcase. If gas has entered the crankcase and contaminated the oil, change the oil after you repair the carburetor.

Remove the carburetor bowl, float, inlet needle, inlet needle clip and seat, if equipped. Pay attention to the position of the inlet needle clip, if so equipped, it will need to go back in the same position.

With the plastic inlet seat removed, if installed, polish the needle cavity. I make a polishing tool using a wooden meat skewer with one end wrapped with cotton and dipped in metal polish. The wrapped tip should fit tightly in the needle cavity. Insert cotton wrapped end of skewer in the needle cavity. Twist skewer back and forth to polish needle cavity.

Install seat, if removed, and inlet needle, inlet needle clip and float. Place a few drops of solvent or fuel on the inlet needle. Move the float with your finger and observe that it moves freely. Assembly carburetor, connect fuel and see if it leaks.

You did not give model numbers, etc. This link may or may not be for your engine. This manual covers carburetors.
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Always list model numbers, etc. for the equipment and engine. It makes responding to your problem more accurate.
Thanks! Here are the details:

Craftsman snow thrower
6.5 horse power
24" two stage wheel drive
Model #: 247.888160
Engine: 143.026503

Old 01-01-09, 09:07 AM
You definately have a problem with the carb. flooding. This engine will not dump fuel into the crankcase but run out of either the carb vent hole or primer vent. Two possible areas cause this have been discussed, the float is leaking or the needle and seat need replacing or both. Both items are common parts at any dealer that sells Tecumseh parts and are not that expensive.

Old 01-09-09, 07:42 AM
NEED instructions to assemble craftsman snowblower carburetor

I bought the floater, inlet needle, inlet needle seat to repair the internal working of the carb... of course we're supposed to get up to 10" of snow tomorrow in NY, so I need to reassemble the carb as soon as possible. Any suggestions on how to re-install the internal parts of the carb?

Old 01-09-09, 07:55 AM
This manual will work for you even though your engine number is not on the front:

http://www.cpdonline.com/695244a.pdf

Old 01-09-09, 08:14 AM
thanks

perfect... thank you... Beer 4U2