Sears Craftsman Model# 536884810 Auger Will not Spin

Old 12-22-08, 08:03 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sears Craftsman Model# 536884810 Auger Will not Spin

Hey guys,

We got a Sears Craftsman Model# 536884810 Snow Thrower donated to our fire department, and it seemed to work well for about an hour.

I did notice that the throttle did not change when adjusted, however it did not seem to have any issue starting, or running.

Now the Auger will not spin, and the impeller does not spin either. It seemed to be sporadic when we first started using it, and would clog up very quickly, however now it does not move at all when engaged.

It does move forward, backward, and start up like a charm.

We do not have the manual for it, nor have I been able to locate it online.

The previous owner stated that the drive wheel on the variable speed drive would need to be replaced soon since it is worn.

Would this have anything to do with it?

Old 12-22-08, 08:47 AM
I
First check the belt. While you are in there, check the idler pulley to make sure it spins easily and that the bearing is not rusted.
The drive disc has nothing to do with the auger.
Here is the on line parts breakdown:
CRAFTSMAN | Model #536884810 | CRAFTSMAN 23" SNOW THROWER | SearsPartsDirect.com

Old 12-22-08, 08:49 AM
C
Take it a part and check items such as:

Auger Belt
Auger pulley
Auger engage mechanisms

Usually the auger belt is worn or streched, easy fix in around 1/2 hour

Old 12-22-08, 08:53 AM
E
dumb question here, how to I get to those areas? Is there a belt access panel I am missing?

I imagine it is part 15 under the Motor Mount Assembly? The "Bottom Panel"

Is this something that I should just replace regardless? I see the belt isn't that expensive anyway.

Old 12-22-08, 09:32 AM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Sears

Most likely you have a broken belt remove the plastic cover in front of the engine to determine if this is the problem.

AJ

Old 12-22-08, 10:04 AM
C
Originally Posted by EOppie
dumb question here, how to I get to those areas? Is there a belt access panel I am missing?

I imagine it is part 15 under the Motor Mount Assembly? The "Bottom Panel"

Is this something that I should just replace regardless? I see the belt isn't that expensive anyway.
Look at 23, it is pointing to the plastic cover, remove the cover and inspect the belts. There are 4 or 6 bolts that attach the auger to the body, you need to remove those- a snowblower is made of of 2 halves- the auger assembly and the body- the belts for the auger are between the 2 halves.

Old 12-31-08, 02:44 PM
E
Well I finally had time to take the plastic cover off and what do ya know, the auger belt is broken.

I figure I might as well replace both belts while I am at it. I found the parts on sears, however I would love to find a more local outlet (lowes, homedepot, etc) that would have a comparable part so I do not have to wait for shipping.

A google search didn't reveal anything as far as a cross reference, anyone have an idea?

Old 12-31-08, 02:51 PM
O
Any tractor supply ( John Deere - Case - etc. ) or hardware store should have a basic assortment of common small engine replacement parts. Probably cheaper than you'll get at sears. Out here we have Fleet Farm stores. If they don't have what you're looking for, look for your local small engine repair shop.

A few other things to think about doing while you have the cover opened up, pull off the other cover and check your chains to make sure they're set right, make sure all your brackets are tight ( no loose bolts ), give any grease fittings you find a good squirt, pull the plug on the auger gearbox and top it off with 90wt, and maybe think about replacing all of the sheer pins with new ones . I change my pins twice every season. probably overkill, but it beats the hell out of snapping an old pin halfway through cleaning up after a big storm.

Old 12-31-08, 03:11 PM
E
Figures I would do this on the night that everything would be closed early for the holiday

Anyways, sears lists the parts as
Belt, auger drive, special
Part # 3526MA

Belt, traction drive
Part # 5939MA

The previous owner said that the rubber drive wheel needed replacement due to it being worn. I took a peak at everything I saw, and nothing looked out of shape.

It looks like according to Sears Parts Direct that they do not carry the part in any of their stores, and it needs to be special ordered. All the local lawn and garden, as well as small engine shops are closed by now here, so it may be hit or miss tomorrow to see if anything is open.

Hopefully someone will have a belt cross reference, and I can get a non-sears belt for a bit less

Old 01-01-09, 06:48 AM
E
Called around, everyone including Sears said they would need to order the part. Ordered online form jack's small engines and paid no tax, and the lowest shipping charges.

So we will wait and see how it goes!

Old 01-01-09, 08:58 AM
All these parts are Murray parts and from an older model. Not stocked at most dealers as demand is not there. Special order is the best way. Briggs purchased Murray name when Murray went bankrupt and is supply the parts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: