Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman snowblower chute problem - falling off...

01-01-09, 11:13 AM   #1  
Craftsman snowblower chute problem - falling off...

Hi everyone,

I have a 10 HP B&S 30" cut Craftsman snowblower. I recently purchased it from a fellow in my area, and the machine itself is 13 years old but is in remarkable condition, and was well kept.

The machine works great, however every 20 minutes or so, the damn chute (which is metal) falls off from the swivel base where the chute attaches to the snowblower! I've put it back on several times, once I even took the rotator screw off just to make sure I had the chute properly in place. It is almost as if the metal tabs under the chute that hold it onto the metal swivel ring are worn or something, but everything looks good, and seems tight when it is all in place. This is my first snowblower, and I am wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Is there something that is missing that might've fallen off... a retainer of some sort maybe? Or do those tabs need replacement on occasion?

I've searched the internet, however I can't find anyone else with this exact issue. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links

01-01-09, 12:37 PM   #2  
I have the same machine, although mine has a 10hp tecumseh engine, 30 inch swath, silver with 2 red huge handles to control auger and drive? Should be the same. If im not mistaken isn't the chute held on with a bracket and 2 screws? Are you missing the bracket?

01-01-09, 12:52 PM   #3  
Yes, exactly I'm sorry, my mistake. It is a tecumseh, only mine is a charcoal grey and not the silver one. The other mistake I made is that mine is a 1993 so it's 15 yrs old, not 13. And no, there is no bracket, and no screws. I noticed in the manual it shows a bracket of some sort inside the chute itself, but mine doesn't have that.

Basically when I look at my chute it is an empty hole. I have the chute, and on the bottom are the 4 retainer clips. There is a void on the ring on one side on the auger housing through which you slide each of the retaines in one by one. Those retainers are all that is holding it in place. Should I have something else there? Like this mystery bracket I am seeing in my manual? It looks like it just clips into two little holes at the bottom of the chute on mine though, I'm not seeing any screws on the parts list.

The machine is model # C950-52330-3 if anyone wants to see the parts list for themselves on the www3.sears.com parts website.

HAALPP!! lol

01-01-09, 12:53 PM   #4  
go to the sears parts site and type your model number and it will show a diagram of the chute
then you can see what part is missing or broken
your model number might start with 536.xxxxxxxx

01-01-09, 12:57 PM   #5  
I see the bracket... although I'm trying to figure out how it holds the chute in place... and I'm wondering if there's a "quick fix" I could use until I get to a sears outlet tomorrow (hopefully they will have the bracket in stock) it's been snowing here for 20 hours and we've got probably 18" of snow down, and I'm going to have to use that machine again tonight if I can figure out this issue somehow.

01-01-09, 01:01 PM   #6  
Well until you can get parts vice grip the thing in place just to get the job done, blow in one direction LOL. I'm going to go out to my garage and look, I have 2 craftman machines, 1 8hp 25 and the same one you have. I will take a pic

01-01-09, 01:14 PM   #7  
There are 4 brackets held on with 2 small bolts and nuts on each corner of the circle.

IMG_2706

I posted the pic above.

01-01-09, 01:19 PM   #8  
My chute has those 4 brackets... those are what slide under the ring on the auger housing. I haven't tried adjusting them yet or anything... are they adjustable? If so, is it a matter of simply loosening and repositioning them, or would they simply possibly be worn out and in need of replacement cpgixxer?

I'm going to go out in the garage and stare at it for a bit, and I will also take a photo or two of it. Hopefully we can figure this dilemma out.

01-01-09, 01:25 PM   #9  
Just went out to it, they are not adjustable. Has your auger ring seperated from the auger itself? Those 4 brackets hold the chute onto the ring on the auger itself. It appears that the ring is welded onto the auger, I suspect that this is where your problem is?

01-01-09, 01:27 PM   #10  
I just edited and mentioned that I will take a couple photos. For some reason yours doesn't seem exactly like mine, although I've only looked at it in a blinding snowstorm for about 30 seconds. Detail wasn't foremost in my mind. LOL! No, the ring is still attached to the auger housing, but my rotator ring that is bolted to the chute is what has these brackets on it. Those brackets are what hold it to the auger housing, and they're not doing their job. Give me half an hour and I'll bb with photos.

01-01-09, 01:32 PM   #11  
Then your brackets might be bent or rusted off, a closeup macro pic would do it.

01-01-09, 05:03 PM   #12  
Hi cpgixxer, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I've discovered the problem and have been trying to figure out what I'm going to do about it. Surprisingly, in as good a condition as this 15 year old SB is in (there is still shiny paint and no rust on the chute or auger ring area except for the obvious wear points) the auger ring has a piece taken out of it on the same side as the worm drive for the chute.

Therefore if I have the chute at a 90 degree angle, or straight ahead, one of the four brackets is in this open area (approx. 3" is gone) and one side of the chute, once it is hit with high velocity snow, jumps out of place. Once the chute is then repositioned, this one bracket rides on top of the ring, and then the whole chute eventually slides loose and falls off.

A temporary solution will be to not put the chute in these three positions, but I'm not sure what an easy fix to this issue might be. Any ideas?

01-01-09, 05:44 PM   #13  
Easy fix, go to one of your friendly neighbourhood fabricator/welders and have him extend one of the brackets wider than the area with the hole. Or as an alternative, bring the whole machine to a shop and have them weld on a piece of metal where the metal is missing.

Search this Thread