Old 01-01-09, 03:40 PM
Auger not spinning impeller does

Craftsman 9hp tecumseh engine 29" wide 2 stage snowblower
Model # 536.887992
Seraial #7472627332W375
Date of manufacture: 2003-09.30

Hi, I had originally thought that the belt came off so I removed
the cover that would allow me to inspect the belts. I adjusted
the belt to what the manual said to do. Started it and the auger still did not turn. I then removed the belt and spun the impeller by hand as I turned the impeller by hand in the direction of operation (which I believe was counterclockwise) I
got the auger to spin but eventually I could not spin the impe-
ller anymore to get the auger to spin. I then turned the impell-
ller in the opposite direction and then go back to the the direction of operation and got the auger to turn again but also
come to a stop again.
The machine was given to me and the previous owner had
sent the machine sent back to Sears because they had shearpin issues apparently when the shearpins broke the previous owner replaced pins in the impeller area with regular
bolts and nuts. After that repair something got caught in the auger and broke the bolts that where put in the impeller.
That was when it was sent back to Sears because the bolts could not be removed. Is it possible that something is broke in
the gearbox that drives the auger? Adjustment? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Bobmac219

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-09, 03:47 PM
The impeller turns the auger, inside that gearbox there are 2 gears, a wormgear on the impeller shaft and another gear on the auger shaft. Both are made of brass. Take it apart and inspect the gears which could be broken or the key way which hold the auger gear in place could be broken. The last machine that had this problem that I repaired had a broken auger gear, $58 bucks. As a prevention measure I replaced the worm gear as well. The machine in question induced 1 jr hockey stick, the owner replaced shear pins with bolts, a $260 mistake.

Live and learn!

Old 01-04-09, 12:12 PM
Hi, Today I finally got a chance to work my snowblower. I separated the front of the machine from the back of the machine and took the auger apart and opened up the gearbox. The wormgear is definetly bad as there are pieces of brass in the the grease in the gearbox and it is pretty tore up. The gear on the impeller shaft which is made of steel looks fine. I am going to clean the grease out of the gearbox and look closer at the gear on the impeller shaft to insure that it also does not need replacing.
One question I have is what kind of grease is in the gearbox? It is a biege/tan color. I also noticed two grease fittings on the two augers would it take the same kind of grease as the gearbox. As far as removing the wormgear is concerned is it a matter of tapping it off hammer?
Thanks for your help, Bobmac219

Old 01-04-09, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by bobmac219 View Post
Hi, Today I finally got a chance to work my snowblower. I separated the front of the machine from the back of the machine and took the auger apart and opened up the gearbox. The wormgear is definetly bad as there are pieces of brass in the the grease in the gearbox and it is pretty tore up. The gear on the impeller shaft which is made of steel looks fine. I am going to clean the grease out of the gearbox and look closer at the gear on the impeller shaft to insure that it also does not need replacing.
One question I have is what kind of grease is in the gearbox? It is a biege/tan color. I also noticed two grease fittings on the two augers would it take the same kind of grease as the gearbox. As far as removing the wormgear is concerned is it a matter of tapping it off hammer?
Thanks for your help, Bobmac219
The gear on the auger shaft taps off, there is a keyway there as well, inspect and replace if necessary. When you go and get the replacement part at your fav dealer, ask them for the grease and they can look it up and provide you the right stuff, that's all I did when I replaced them on the machine I fixed.

Old 01-11-09, 08:50 AM
Thanks for all of your help cpgixxer. Snowblower is up and running. I could not find the appropiate grease on sears website so I went to a local snowmoblie dealer in my hometown and got a grease based on their recommendation.
Repair was relatively easy thanks to the excellent advice I recieved on this website thanks again, bobmac219.

Old 01-11-09, 05:32 PM
No problem, glad you got it going again- sure beats trashing it and spending $1000 on a new one.