Craftsman Snowthrower blade removal

Old 01-01-09, 05:47 PM
Craftsman Snowthrower blade removal

Help! I have a 2001 Craftsman Snowthrower, I have run over many things and the worm drive is junk. I have been able to open the gear case and see that is the issue, but how do I remove the blades to allow me to work on it. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-09, 05:55 PM
Depends on the machine but this is a quick rundown.

Step one would be to remove the auger from the body. Remove the plastic cover over the belts. Usually 4 or 6 bolts holding the auger to the body. Once they are seperated remove the auger belt(s) from engine pulley. There is usually a spring or a rod which controls the engagement. The spring style will pull off the engage rod, the rod style seperates when the machine is pulled apart.

Once the auger is removed, look at the back of the auger, usually a bolt holds the auger assembly and pully(s) to the frame , remove this bolt or bolts.

Move to the sides of the auger, there will be 2 or 3 bolts on each side, remove them. This will free the augers from the frame.

The assembly should now be free and should pull away from the auger housing. Make notes for reassembly , take pictures if you have to.

This is a rough idea, without researching your exact machine.

Old 01-01-09, 07:22 PM
getting closer

I removed the plastic cover, the 6 bolts that held the auger to the housing and seperated the unit. I'am not able to remove the main pulley from the end of the shaft. If I remove those bolts on the back of the housing will that be enough or will I have remove the pulley to allow the shaft to come through the housing?

Old 01-01-09, 08:31 PM
Auger

You have to remove the pulley to allow the shaft to come through the housing.

AJ

Last edited by aj-allen; 01-01-09 at 09:41 PM.