Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman tractor

01-02-09, 08:32 AM   #1  
Craftsman tractor

I have a problem with my tractor, model 944.605411, 6 speed transaxle. I was plowing snow yeasterday and it would go in 1st and 2nd gear no problem, but not any higher gear. Eventually it would go into 3rd and 4th, but it would seem it would move forward but in a jerking motion. Reverse is fine.

Is it the transmission going? It has a brand new drive belt.

Any help would be appreciated, more snow coming!

The transmission is a peerless transaxle 206-545c

Last edited by smiles; 01-02-09 at 09:59 AM.

Sponsored Links

MO

01-02-09, 09:06 AM   #2  
The sears site doesn't show that model number, check the number and repost, however if it has a Peerless H2000-006A transaxle they have a known problem that creates the jerking in forward but ok in reverse. The lever you pull to disengage the transaxle so you can roll the tractor sets on a sleeve that connects the pump to the transaxle, this sleeve gets the splines ground out of it and starts to slip and will eventually wear to the point of not move at all. There is a repair kit for this problem Tecumseh part# 799032(most small shops don't know it exists) or you can just replace the sleeve Tecumseh part# 786197 the problem is getting the parts since Tecumseh has gone out of business. Have a good one. Geo

01-02-09, 10:02 AM   #3  
Craftsman tractor

Transaxle model number is a peerless 206-545c

01-02-09, 10:58 AM   #4  
Transaxle model number is a peerless 206-545c

MO

01-02-09, 12:30 PM   #5  
Didn't see the 2006-545C
Some info I found below. Have a good one. Geo

QUESTION: The problem I am having with it is the shifter is very stiff going into gears. I have checked the fluid level in the transaxle, and played with the adjustments on the shift linkage, to no avail. This makes me think there is something worn inside the transaxle. Do you know a site where I it will tell me what other transaxles will fit my machine? I'm not sure what specs I should be looking for. All I know is mine is a 6 speed Peerless 206-545C. Thanks again
ANSWER: Hello Again Mike:

These are Easy Transaxles to Repair with the Breakdown to See the Assembly. The Problem is Most Likely the Shift Clutch Keys. You can View a Breakdown/IPL of this Engine at this Site Addy, Lawn Mower Parts and Lawn Tractor Parts and Select the P. Then Select Peerless. Then Select To View Parts List Click Here in the Upper Right of the Page. Then Select the Series Transaxle. Then Select the Transaxle File for your Transaxle. Select the 206 Series File. Then Select 206-206-545C Folder. The Shift Keys are # 8 in the Breakdown and Usually Cost less than $2.00ea. The Shipping is the Killer. LOL. ---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thanks again. I have the transaxle out of the mower. I would like to look at these "keys" but I'm afraid once I separate the transaxle parts will come falling out and I'll end up in a real mess. Have you ever had one open and can it be done without something popping or flying out at me when I lift off the top part? If it was as simple as pulling it off, replace the key, clean the gasket residue and give it a new one, and close it up, I might just take the chance.

Answer

Nothing is Going to Jump Out when you Seperate the Transaxle. The Main Concern is when you Reassemble the Housing; Make Sure the Shifter is Lined Up with the Shifter Collar Properly. Using the Breakdown at the Site Addy I Provided Earlier, you should have Very Little Problems with this Repair.

10-10-09, 08:34 AM   #6  
I found the part here:
786197 - 786197 PEERLESS/HUSQVARNA TRANSMISSION PART 786197 - SLEEVE - PER-786197 - PEERLESS-HUSQVARNA TRANSMISSION

Did anyone try turning this part around, as it seems to only be worn on one side.

How do you prevent it from wearing in the future? Disable the ability to shift into neutral mode is my thought. Another is to add a washer?

Search this Thread