Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

troy-bilt 5500 generator 10hp engine problem removal question

01-02-09, 01:56 PM   #1  
troy-bilt 5500 generator 10hp engine problem removal question

i have a troy-bilt 5500 generator with 10hp engine that threw a rod,, how do you remove the generator piece from the briggs engine? there a 4 short bolts that look like they hold the generator to a mounting bracket but when removed them and start to seperate housing it looks like i am pulling the armature out of the assembly..

Sponsored Links

OK

01-02-09, 06:33 PM   #2  
there should be a bolt thru the armature which you can remove and thus remove the armature, mostly you pull the armature with the engine then remove it from the engine.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-03-09, 12:50 AM   #3  
You generally have to take the generator electrical part apart to get it off the engine. The last thing to come off is the rotor/armature.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

01-04-09, 07:11 AM   #4  
still stuck - ned puller recomendation

well i removed the crank case bolts and tried pulling it off that way also -- still stuck (the armature bolt was removed also ) 00 now i think i need to fabricate some type of puller -- any recomendations or ideas ?? thanks for your help

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-04-09, 10:03 PM   #5  
Is the armature the only thing left on the engine, and that is what is stuck? If so, give it a sharp rap with a block of wood from the side and it should jar the tapered fit loose. Don't hit it so hard that it bends anything, just enough to shock it loose.

God bless!

01-12-09, 06:10 AM   #6  
follow up --

just following up here -- i beat the casing and armature with a rubber mallot but it did not break free.. so i ended up removing the engine cover bolts and took a 2x4 block placed on the loosened bolt that runs thru the rotor to the crank(raised up 1/4 inch),, drilled a couple of holes in the 2x4 and put threaded rods down from the 2x4 to the loosened engine cover and made a puller attaching to the bolt holes that fastened the generator piece to the crankcase cover-- once the armature broke free ,, took off the wood puller and the casing , armature came out ... thanks for the help

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-12-09, 11:53 PM   #7  
Glad you got it! Thanks for the update.

God bless!

Search this Thread