Goodbye to My Old Craftsman - Help with New

Old 01-02-09, 02:39 PM
Goodbye to My Old Craftsman - Help with New

I've been lurking about this forum for several weeks looking for information to decide on a new snowblower for next year. My 23 year old craftsman is getting too heavy for me to handle, so it will be retired. There appears to be a LOT of technical expertize on this forum so if I could .... a few questions.

1. With Tecumseh apparently out of the snowblower engine business and B & S being the other major supplier I'm wondering who will be supplying engines next year, apart from B&S.

2. I have heard 'rumours' B&S are using offshore engine in some of their products .... if this is true, how do I identify an offshore engine on a B&S powered snowblower?

3. Since I last purchased (23 yrs ago) power steering is now installed on some snowblowers.... does this option work, is it troublesome?

4. I have noticed some joystick type of chute ration and deflection controls, how well do these work?

thanks for your assistance

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by two rivers View Post
I've been lurking about this forum for several weeks looking for information to decide on a new snowblower for next year. My 23 year old craftsman is getting too heavy for me to handle, so it will be retired. There appears to be a LOT of technical expertize on this forum so if I could .... a few questions.

1. With Tecumseh apparently out of the snowblower engine business and B & S being the other major supplier I'm wondering who will be supplying engines next year, apart from B&S.

2. I have heard 'rumours' B&S are using offshore engine in some of their products .... if this is true, how do I identify an offshore engine on a B&S powered snowblower?

3. Since I last purchased (23 yrs ago) power steering is now installed on some snowblowers.... does this option work, is it troublesome?

4. I have noticed some joystick type of chute ration and deflection controls, how well do these work?

thanks for your assistance
Answers:
1. Ariens has signed an agreemenet for B&S to supply snowblower engines for next season. Other players for engines on snowblowers are Kohler and Honda.

2. B&S has manufacturing plants worldwide. Engines made in 2008 & later will now be metric for a worldwide market.

3.Power steering does work. Biggest problem is with cables freezing. The way it works, it puts 1 wheel into free wheeling mode whil the other is still powered. Works great if you have tight turns.

4. Joysticks are a big problem. Cables freeze and break. So much that I keep 2 sets of each in stock. Try to go with the good ole chute crank design.