need help with honda generator 700cc.

Old 01-02-09, 03:56 PM
Question need help with honda generator 700cc.

Happy New Year, I got a generator that would,nt start because it was frozen.I kept it in my basement for a couple of days,drain carb that was full of water.got it working but only runs with choke on.i read this was carb problems so i clean it.blew it out with compress air.put it back together,now it still runs find with choke on and it also runs with choke of but only for a couple of seconds.If i keep governer shaft in right position manually it will stay running with choke off.I have couple of questions. first, could this still be dirty carb why it wont stay going or do it just need adjustments?

p.s. when removing carb i also had to remove governer shaft.how do I put it back in its right position?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 06:19 PM
how do you put it back in the right position? reinstallation is the opposite of removal.
you should not have needed to adjust the governor for removel should just need to unhook a lever. I would guess you didn't reinstall your linkage in the correct hole on the carb mechanism.

Murphy was an opitimist

Old 01-03-09, 12:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like speedwrench said, the governor shouldn't be off or need adjusting if you only removed the linkage. If you removed the entire governor arm from the side of the engine, then you'll need to readjust it. Is that what you did?

Also, sounds like you need to clean the carburetor better with carb cleaner. It should run well with no choke.

Old 01-03-09, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by blue hill pond View Post
If i keep governer shaft in right position manually it will stay running with choke off.

p.s. when removing carb i also had to remove governer shaft.how do I put it back in its right position?

doesn't make sense. holding the "governer shaft" which i'm assuming you mean to be the throttle linkage, should not help as the govener itself would open to compensate for the drop in rpm.

on the second statement, i also assume you mean the linkage from the governer to the carb but if you remove that from the governer instead of the carb you may have messed up the setting. i think you should take the unit to a shop to have the carb properly cleaned , installed , and have the engine adjusted for proper rpm as this is important in any engine and to a degree, more important for a generator. ask the shop to make the repairs and check it for operating rpm and verify voltage output and frequency. this shouldn't cost too much.